1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics problem about springs PLEASE HELP!

1. Jan 29, 2007 #1
    A 2 kg block hangs from a spring. A 253g body hung below the block stretches it a further 2.5cm. What's the spring constant? Use g=9.8N/kg. Calculate the value to 1 decimal place and use N/m as your unit.

AND
    A 1.8kg block hangs from a spring. A 221g body hung below the block stretches it a further 3.8cm. If the 221g body is removed and the block set into oscillation, what is the period of the motion? Use g=9.8N/kg. Calculate the value to 2 decimal place and use second as your unit.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2007 #2
    In order to get help, you should post an attempted solution.

Here is a hint: Write the force balance equation for a) just the first block and b) both blocks together. How can you then use these two equations to obtain an expression for k in terms of the known values?

for the second part, if I were to do it, I would set up a force balance equation (left side in terms of displacement x from the rest postion, right side in terms of acceleration = d^2x/dt^2) with initial conditons dx/dt(0)=0 and x(0)=-x1. This could then be solved, and the period of the solution can be obtained.

4. Jan 29, 2007 #3
    What a know/think!

number 1??
    I THINK.. it is
    we know F=KX & W=MG
    since F=W, KX=MG
    so K*d=2kg*G also K*(d+2.5cm)=2.253kg*G
    so K=(2kg*G)/d also K=(2.253kg*G)/(d+2.5cm)
    then (2kg*G)/d = (2.253kg*G)/(d+2.5cm)
    we solve for d: (d+2.5cm)/d= (2.253kg*G)/(2kg*G)
    G cancels out: (d+2.5cm)/d= 2.253kg/2kg
    so 1+(2.5cm/d)= 2.253/2
    2.5cm/d= 2.253/2-1
    d= 2.5cm/(2.253/2-1)=
    now that you have d and d+2.5cm
    you can plug into equation F=KX or K=F/X which is K=MG/X
    use K=MG/X
    K=2kgG/d you know G and d so you have K which is spring constant.
    K=99.2N/m

Number 2..
    NOT A CLUE..
    PLEASE HELP

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?