Simple Harmonic Motion - Vertical Spring

In summary, a 7 kg block is hung from a vertical spring and given an initial push downward at 4.7 m/s. The block oscillates without friction and at t = 0.36 s, the speed is v(t) = -w*A*sin(w*t) where w is the angular frequency (rad/s) and A is the amplitude calculated using A = V*sqrt(m/k) based on energy. The maximum acceleration can be calculated using amax = wˆ2*A and the net force at t = 0.36 s is F(t) = k*A*sin(w*t). The only error in the calculations may be the speed, which should be recalculated using the correct formula.
meep82817

Homework Statement

A block with mass m =7 kg is hung from a vertical spring. When the mass hangs in equilibrium, the spring stretches x = 0.23 m. While at this equilibrium position, the mass is then given an initial push downward at v = 4.7 m/s. The block oscillates on the spring without friction.

2. Questions

After t = 0.36 s what is the speed of the block?
What is the magnitude of the maximum acceleration of the block?
At t = 0.36 s what is the magnitude of the net force on the block?

3. Equations and the attempt at a solution

I calculated k by m*g/x
w by sqrt(k/m)
A by V*sqrt(m/k) (based on energy)

For speed, I used v(t) = -w*A*sin(w*t)
For acceleration, I used amax = wˆ2*A
For force, I used F(t) = k*A*sin(w*t)

I get the feeling my mistake is on my calculation for A. Help please? I've been working on this for a while and am starting to get frustrated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write out what all your parameters are instead of just denoting them by w, A etc. Would make it so much easier to see what you do.

Sure.
- k is spring constant
- A is amplitude
- w is angular frequency (rad/s)

meep82817 said:
A by V*sqrt(m/k) (based on energy)
What is large V here?

Oh. My bad. I used the velocity of 4.7 m/s that the statement provides.

The amplitude of the oscillation gives the total energy of the spring through the use of potential energy. So E = 1/2 A²k or A = sqrt(2E/k) = sqrt(mV²/k) = V sqrt(m/k) so is the same as yours. Looking through what you got, you got your speed wrong, otherwise it looks good.

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion where an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point. It occurs when a restoring force (such as gravity or a spring) is proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

2. How does a vertical spring exhibit Simple Harmonic Motion?

A vertical spring exhibits Simple Harmonic Motion when it is stretched or compressed from its equilibrium position and then released. The force of gravity pulling down on the object is counteracted by the spring's restoring force, causing the object to oscillate up and down.

3. What is the relationship between the period and frequency of Simple Harmonic Motion?

The period (T) of Simple Harmonic Motion is the time it takes for one complete oscillation, while the frequency (f) is the number of oscillations per unit time. The relationship between the two is T = 1/f or f = 1/T, meaning as the period increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its Simple Harmonic Motion on a vertical spring?

The mass of an object does not affect the period or frequency of Simple Harmonic Motion on a vertical spring. However, it does affect the amplitude (maximum displacement) of the oscillation. A heavier object will have a smaller amplitude compared to a lighter object on the same spring.

5. What are some real-life examples of Simple Harmonic Motion on a vertical spring?

Some examples of Simple Harmonic Motion on a vertical spring include a mass hanging from a spring, a door closer, a car's suspension system, and a swinging pendulum. SHM on a vertical spring can also be seen in human activities like jumping on a trampoline or bouncing on a pogo stick.