1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Problem on Angular Momentum

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A uniform 4.5 kg square solid wooden gate 1.5 m on each side hangs vertically from a frictionless pivot at the center of its upper edge. A 1.1 kg raven flying horizontally at 5.0 m/s flies into this gate at its center and bounces back at 2.0 m/s in the opposite direction. What is the angular speed of the gate just after it is struck by the unfortunate event.

2. Relevant equations

L=mvl and L=Iw

3. The attempt at a solution

First I calculated the momentum for the bird using L=mvl
    L = (1.1 kg)(5.0 m/s)(1.5m/2) = 4.125 kg m/s^2

Then the total momentum after it strikes the square
    L(total) = raven + the square

I wasn't sure about the moment of interia equation for the square so I used the one a thin rectangular plate axis along edge = Mr^2/3

= (1.1kg)(-2.0 m/s)(1.5m/s) + (4.5 kg)(.75)^2/3(wf) = -1.65 kg m/s^2 + 0.84375(wf)

I equated this to the intial momentum of the bird
    4.125 kg m/s^2 = = -1.65 kg m/s^2 + 0.84375(wf)

wf = 6.8 rad/s which is way off

Answer = 1.71 rad/s

I think I'm having trouble as I can't visual the scenario properly...and help would be great!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check the data in red.

ehild

4. Dec 5, 2011 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The moment of inertia of a rectangular plate with dimensions a x b about its center, the axis being perpendicular to the sides of length b is

[itex] \frac{1}{12} M \; b^2 [/itex]

Note that the full length of the side, 'b' is used. Apply the parallel axis theorem to move the axis of rotation to the edge (along and 'a' side).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook