Physics Problem on Angular Momentum

In summary: Let r be the distance from the edge to the center of the plate and \frac{1}{2}mr ; a^2 llerp(a,b) Now we can solve for the moment of inertia about the new center:\frac{1}{12} M \; b^2 llerp(a,b) = \frac{1}{2}mr ; a^2 llerp(a,b) = \frac{1}{12} M \; a^2 llerp(a,b+r) = \frac{1}{2}mr ; a^2
utm01

Homework Statement

A uniform 4.5 kg square solid wooden gate 1.5 m on each side hangs vertically from a frictionless pivot at the center of its upper edge. A 1.1 kg raven flying horizontally at 5.0 m/s flies into this gate at its center and bounces back at 2.0 m/s in the opposite direction. What is the angular speed of the gate just after it is struck by the unfortunate event.

Homework Equations

L=mvl and L=Iw

The Attempt at a Solution

First I calculated the momentum for the bird using L=mvl
L = (1.1 kg)(5.0 m/s)(1.5m/2) = 4.125 kg m/s^2

Then the total momentum after it strikes the square
L(total) = raven + the square

I wasn't sure about the moment of interia equation for the square so I used the one a thin rectangular plate axis along edge = Mr^2/3

= (1.1kg)(-2.0 m/s)(1.5m/s) + (4.5 kg)(.75)^2/3(wf) = -1.65 kg m/s^2 + 0.84375(wf)

I equated this to the intial momentum of the bird
4.125 kg m/s^2 = = -1.65 kg m/s^2 + 0.84375(wf)

wf = 6.8 rad/s which is way off

Answer = 1.71 rad/s

I think I'm having trouble as I can't visual the scenario properly...and help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
utm01 said:
First I calculated the momentum for the bird using L=mvl
L = (1.1 kg)(5.0 m/s)(1.5m/2) = 4.125 kg m/s^2

Then the total momentum after it strikes the square
L(total) = raven + the square

I wasn't sure about the moment of interia equation for the square so I used the one a thin rectangular plate axis along edge = Mr^2/3

= (1.1kg)(-2.0 m/s)(1.5m/s) + (4.5 kg)(.75)^2/3(wf) = -1.65 kg m/s^2 + 0.84375(wf)

Check the data in red.

ehild

The moment of inertia of a rectangular plate with dimensions a x b about its center, the axis being perpendicular to the sides of length b is

[itex] \frac{1}{12} M \; b^2 [/itex]

Note that the full length of the side, 'b' is used. Apply the parallel axis theorem to move the axis of rotation to the edge (along and 'a' side).

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the amount of rotational motion an object has. It is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia by its angular velocity. The moment of inertia can be calculated by summing up the products of each particle's mass and its squared distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that in a closed system, the total angular momentum remains constant. This means that if there are no external torques acting on the system, the initial angular momentum will be equal to the final angular momentum.

4. What are some real-life examples of angular momentum?

Some real-life examples of angular momentum include the rotation of planets around the sun, the spinning of a top, and the motion of a gymnast during a somersault.

5. How does angular momentum relate to rotational inertia?

Angular momentum and rotational inertia are directly related. As an object's rotational inertia increases, its angular momentum also increases. This means that objects with larger moments of inertia will require more torque to change their rate of rotation.