1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Review Packet, some problems i'm stuck on

1. May 1, 2010 #1
    Just a few questions from a review packet i'm stuck on, any help would be appreciated!

1) The moment of inertia about its axis is given as .5 mr^2. If this cylinder rolls without slipping the ratio of it's rotational kinetic energy to it's translational kinetic energy is
    a. 2:1
    b. 1:1
    c. 1:2 >My guess<
    d. 1:3

I'm assuming Rotational Kinetic Energy = (.5mr^2)(w^2) has something to do with this

2) An object’s angular momentum changes by 20 kg,m2/s in 4.0 s. What magnitude average torque acted on this object?
    A. 2.5 N’m >my guess<
    B. 5.0 N-m
    C. 40 N-m
    D. 80 N’m

I'm not sure what equation i'm supposed to use

3) A solid cylinder of mass 10 kg is pivoted about a frictionless axis thought the center O. A rope wrapped around the outer radius R1 = 1.0 m, exerts a force F1 = 5.0 N to the right. A second rope wrapped around another section of radius R2 = 0.50 m exerts a force F2 = 6.0 N downward. (See Fig. 8-1.) What is the angular acceleration of the cylinder?
    (It's like a circle inside a circle)
    A) 1.0 rad/s2
    B) 0.60 rad/s2 >my guess<
    C) 0.40 rad/s2
    D) 0.80 rad/s2

I did angular acceleration = ((R1F1)-(R2F2))/mr1^2 and the closest i got was to .6

4) A solid sphere of mass 1.0 kg and radius 0.010 m starts from rest and rolls without slipping down a 1.0-m high inclined plane. What is the speed of the sphere when it reaches the bottom of the inclined plane?
    A) 3.7 m/s >My guess<
    B) 4.4 m/s
    C) 5.6 m/s
    D) 6.3 m/s

my final equation was gh=(7/10)v^2

5)A railroad car with a mass of 200 kg is going at 10 m/s. A 70 kg stunt man drops directly down on it from a distance of 4 m above. What is the speed of the railroad car after?
    a. 4.7 m/s
    b. 7.4 m/s >my guess<
    c. 2.8 m/s
    d. 10 m/s

Totally lost

6) A projectile is launched with an initial velocity of 60 m/s at an agnle of 30 degrees above the horizontal. How far will it go?
    a. 318 m
    b. 160 m >my guess<
    c. 152 m
    d. 184 m

I feel like this should be simple, and I'm using 2d kinematics but the answers I get don't match up

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2010 #2
    1) What is the translational kinetic energy? What is v in terms of w?

2) Similar to Newton's Second Law, [tex] \vec{F}_{net} = \frac{d\vec{p}}{dt} [/tex] , What does [tex] \tau_{net} = [/tex] ?

3) I don't really understand the picture.

4) Right.

5) Conservation of Momentum.

6) Show your work.

Last edited: May 1, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook