1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics schools and holistic admissions

1. Mar 11, 2015 #1
    Hello, I'm new here so forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I have several questions pertaining to the schooling required to become a physicist and the everyday life of a physicist. So my first question is, are there any universities within the United States that have a good physics programs? I have done some research and it seems like the only schools that pop up are schools with holistic admissions. I am also currently enlisted in the United States Marine Corps. So I was wondering if I should even attempt a PhD in physics due to the fact that I will be starting college later than the average joe.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2015 #2
    Just some of the best i the world
    http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...-schools/top-science-schools/physics-rankings

It means nothing, do what you love.

4. Mar 11, 2015 #3
    Do I need to attend a school with holistic admissions to be successful as a physicist?

5. Mar 11, 2015 #4
    Of course not. There are many paths to success. What is your problem with holistic admissions anyway?

6. Mar 11, 2015 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean by "holistic admissions", and as opposed to what?

7. Mar 11, 2015 #6
  8. Mar 11, 2015 #7
    I don't exactly have a problem with holistic admissions. I just don't quite meet the criteria to get admitted to a school that uses holistic admissions.

9. Mar 11, 2015 #8
    Why do you say that? The point of HA is that they are flexible.

10. Mar 11, 2015 #9

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Surely being in the military counts as a "holistic factor", especially if you've been in any sort of leadership position.

You have to keep in mind that most applicants to "good" colleges still come straight out of high school, so most of the talk about admissions criteria and "extracurricular activities" has them in mind. Older people who have gotten "real world" experience in the military, or running a business, or whatever, have a different set of experiences that they can use to bolster their college applications.

11. Mar 11, 2015 #10
    Lol I just realized that holistic admissions places emphasis on considering an applicants other achievements rather than just looking at their GPA and ACT scores. I thought that holistic admissions described schools that looked for 4.0 GPAs and 30 and above ACT scores.

12. Mar 11, 2015 #11
    Yeah I'm sure military experience would look good on an application. I suppose I am just concerned that my GPA and ACT scores won't meet their requirements.

13. Mar 12, 2015 #12

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

When I got out, my GRE scores were "stale," and I was asked (not required) to take the GRE again --- it was like shooting qualification in a phone booth --- you can't miss. "Holistic" is an assessment whether you're motivated and capable of following through. Marine? This day and age? When you could have quit any time you wanted and "good riddance?" You're motivated.

14. Mar 12, 2015 #13
    Yeah I suppose I never looked at it like that. Thanks for all the info guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook