Physics: transverse wave & wavelength & motion

In summary, the question asks at which point is the string moving upward at the instant shown?The Attempt at a SolutionI am not sure how I should approach this type of questions.A) will move downward B) downward then upwardC) upward then downward D) same as CE)upward then downward
YMMMA

Homework Statement

the question asks at which point is the string moving upward at the instant shown?

Homework Equations

No equations needed

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how I should approach this type of questions.
A) will move downward
B) downward then upward
C) upward then downward
D) same as C
E)upward then downward
Am I correct?

Attachments

• 80D868F5-5B22-4E81-A512-24436FF3C700.jpeg
    80D868F5-5B22-4E81-A512-24436FF3C700.jpeg
    14.6 KB · Views: 393
Physics news on Phys.org
Here I think its clear that spoke P will move up, but Q will move up then down. Answer is A so Q will move down. Should I approach the question above the same as this one?

Attachments

• 2E90803B-5BA3-477B-A69B-079EB69DE72B.jpeg
    2E90803B-5BA3-477B-A69B-079EB69DE72B.jpeg
    31.5 KB · Views: 378
  • 6357E126-980F-4A65-BAB8-19DEA5BE4A59.jpeg
    6357E126-980F-4A65-BAB8-19DEA5BE4A59.jpeg
    18.8 KB · Views: 382
The upward direction is the direction of the y ^ arrow , -if you simply start at the left 0 and follow
the string with a pen top you will find there are TWO of the points from the A-B-C-D-E list of shown points
where where your pen top is traveling upward in the general direction of y ^.

Janosh89 said:
The upward direction is the direction of the y ^ arrow , -if you simply start at the left 0 and follow
the string with a pen top you will find there are TWO of the points from the A-B-C-D-E list of shown points
where where your pen top is traveling upward in the general direction of y ^.

So, you’re saying it could be C and E,right?
I understand now that pointing away from the x-axis means upward and pointing toward the x-axis means downward,yes?

y^ is upward above 0 , y ∨ [downward arrow] below 0 is , of course, downward. By convention (Cartesian axes) y^ is usually
only given.
For representing waveforms / "string" , negative numbers of y ( ∨ or y below 0 ) are not that important -for SATS anyway-
The amplitude of the waveform ,or maximum distance from the horizontal x axis, can be taken at the turning point ("crest")
above the x-axis , namely point A. [ since below is a mirror image in the question]
Sorry, my bad, I overlooked D aswell. Your pen top will be traveling upward [ direction y^] at that point as well.
Please give the actual question at the start.

Janosh89 said:
y^ is upward above 0 , y ∨ [downward arrow] below 0 is , of course, downward. By convention (Cartesian axes) y^ is usually
only given.
For representing waveforms / "string" , negative numbers of y ( ∨ or y below 0 ) are not that important -for SATS anyway-
The amplitude of the waveform ,or maximum distance from the horizontal x axis, can be taken at the turning point ("crest")
above the x-axis , namely point A. [ since below is a mirror image in the question]
Sorry, my bad, I overlooked D aswell. Your pen top will be traveling upward [ direction y^] at that point as well.
Please give the actual question at the start.

Here is it in full. I actually solved it as D before posting this. Can we say that points C and E are the nodes so at this instant they’re neither up or down?

Attachments

• A9442DAC-7C8B-42EC-893E-898944CFF192.jpeg
    A9442DAC-7C8B-42EC-893E-898944CFF192.jpeg
    24.6 KB · Views: 357
YMMMA said:
Here I think its clear that spoke P will move up, but Q will move up then down. Answer is A so Q will move down. Should I approach the question above the same as this one?

Here’s an explanation for this one. But still I am confused.

Attachments

• 711EF855-8D32-4587-891D-0C2F4E287700.jpeg
    711EF855-8D32-4587-891D-0C2F4E287700.jpeg
    13.4 KB · Views: 370
Q6 one wavelength = two 'loops' . Answer?

Janosh89 said:
Q6 one wavelength = two 'loops' . Answer?
Answer C

Correct. Question 7 isn't in the English language.
Q 8 Hint Forget about nodes. D is correct, but is your pen top going upward at any any other points aswell?

Janosh89 said:
Correct. Question 7 isn't in the English language.
Q 8 Hint Forget about nodes. D is correct, but is your pen top going upward at any any other points aswell?
7 asks about twice the period, so E

Pen top points upward at 3 points as you said earlier..

What confuses me more is the other question, should approach post #1 the same way?

No, I think the graph (Side View) shows the x axis as velocity.. There is no origin 0 given and the other axis (y axis ) is
displacement. This is a traveling wave, so as the answer says- the next point p towards the origin 0 at extreme left,i.e the preceding dot
is
for point P - HIGHER than point P ∴ P will move upwards
for point Q - LOWER than point Q ∴ Q will move downwards

You could label the preceding ' dots' for P as Po
...........for Q as Qo ____ so P is P1 and Q is Q1

Janosh89 said:
No, I think the graph (Side View) shows the x axis as velocity.. There is no origin 0 given and the other axis (y axis ) is
displacement. This is a traveling wave, so as the answer says- the next point p towards the origin 0 at extreme left,i.e the preceding dot
is
for point P - HIGHER than point P ∴ P will move upwards
for point Q - LOWER than point Q ∴ Q will move downwards

You could label the preceding ' dots' for P as Po
...........for Q as Qo ____ so P is P1 and Q is Q1
Got it, thanks!
But this question is different from the other?

If it’s the same question would be followed reasoning be correct? >>> Like point Aο lower that A so downward, same goes with all. Except in B will move upward?

Ahh... I took your first post #1 too literally . The x-axis here is distance (horizontal). The question would / should have said
when is the transverse wave/string moving upward . Since its motion is perpendicular to the x-axis, the only possible answer
is A.
In the second part /second question - which you understand - the x-axis is velocity , so your reasoning in #14 would be incorrect.

Likes YMMMA
Janosh89 said:
Ahh... I took your first post #1 too literally . The x-axis here is distance (horizontal). The question would / should have said
when is the transverse wave/string moving upward . Since its motion is perpendicular to the x-axis, the only possible answer
is A.
In the second part /second question - which you understand - the x-axis is velocity , so your reasoning in #14 would be incorrect.
Understood, Thank you!

1. What is a transverse wave?

A transverse wave is a type of wave in which the particles of the medium vibrate perpendicularly to the direction of wave propagation. This means that the wave moves in a direction perpendicular to the direction in which the particles are moving.

2. What is wavelength?

Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive points on a wave that are in phase with each other. In other words, it is the distance between two peaks or two troughs of a wave.

3. How is motion related to transverse waves?

Transverse waves are characterized by their motion, which is perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation. This means that the particles of the medium only move up and down or side to side, while the wave itself moves forward.

4. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency?

Wavelength and frequency are inversely related. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation wavelength = speed of the wave / frequency.

5. How does the medium affect transverse waves?

The properties of the medium, such as density and elasticity, can affect the speed at which a transverse wave travels. In addition, the medium can also determine whether a transverse wave can propagate or not. For example, transverse waves cannot travel through a vacuum, but can travel through solids, liquids, and gases.