Physics undergrad, something else graduate

In summary, The speaker is a junior in physics who is older than average and is about to start a second major in electrical engineering. They have a tendency to mess up on tests and do not feel particularly smart compared to their classmates. However, they are managing to hold above a 3.0 GPA in their physics classes. They have also fallen into an interdisciplinary life science research lab over the summer and love it. They want to continue with this lab as an undergraduate and potentially pursue graduate studies in physics, but they are hesitant and afraid of failing out. They are also interested in other graduate programs such as systems biology, biophysics, medical physics, computer science, and medical school. They are unsure of how graduate programs work and are
tolove
I'm going to type where I stand in life, and I intend to be a little open ended. I hope to learn from how you would proceed if you were in my shoes.

I'm a junior in physics, older than average, and am about to start a second major in electrical engineering.

I have an amazing tendency to mess up on tests, and, in general, I do not feel particularly smart compared to my classmates. I am managing to hold above a 3.0 in my physics classes, however. This, to say the least, has me quite afraid of physics for graduate studies.

I've fallen into an interdisciplinary life science research lab over the summer, and I absolutely love it. The material, at least compared to what I was expecting, feels easy. Best of all, I find it interesting, I feel like I can actually make scientific progress here. I want to continue with this lab as an undergraduate at the very least. If I go to graduate school, it will be with this lab. (They do a lot of things, more or less related to systems biology.)

I was never expecting to do well in school. I was intending on pulling a 2.0gpa and teaching high school (something I still want to do later in life).

Graduate studies in physics is what I want to do (at the very least, I want to take graduate E&M). Although, I'm rather hesitant about the idea. I'm afraid of failed out. I'm sure there are other programs that I would also enjoy, and have less stress along the way.

What other graduate programs would I be able to get in? How do graduate programs even work?

Thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you managed to publish with work in that lab, then systems biology, or even biophysics graduate programs, will be doable.

I think a BS in physics can lead to many graduate programs. There's Biophysics, Medical Physics, Computer Science, Medical School after taking MCAT etc.

1. What is the difference between a physics undergraduate degree and a graduate degree in another field?

A physics undergraduate degree focuses on the fundamental principles and concepts of physics, while a graduate degree in another field allows for specialization in a specific area of study, such as engineering, astronomy, or materials science.

2. Can I pursue a graduate degree in another field with a physics undergraduate degree?

Yes, many graduate programs accept applicants with a physics background. However, some programs may require additional coursework or experience in the specific field of study.

3. Will a physics undergraduate degree prepare me for a graduate program in a different field?

Yes, a physics degree provides a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, and mathematical skills that are transferable to many other fields of study.

4. Are there any benefits to pursuing a graduate degree in another field after earning a physics undergraduate degree?

Yes, a graduate degree in another field can broaden your knowledge and skill set, making you more competitive in the job market and allowing for a wider range of career opportunities.

5. How can I decide if pursuing a graduate degree in another field is the right choice for me?

It is important to research and explore your interests and career goals before making a decision. You can also speak with professors, advisors, and professionals in your desired field to gain insight and advice.