Physics Undergrad starting in 2011

In summary, the person is currently in the US Military and will be released from their contract in July 2011 to enroll at the University of Massachusetts. They are seeking advice on what they should self-teach themselves in preparation for studying physics. They have limited knowledge in math, with only one year of high school physics and pre-calc as their highest math course. They are considering brushing up on pre-calc and possibly self-teaching themselves calculus, but are unsure if they should leave calculus to be taught by professors. They have developed a strong interest in physics after several years of watching lectures and have decided to pursue it as their field of study.
jkerrigan
Here's a little back story, I am currently 21 yrs old and in the US Military, Army to be exact. I will be released from my contract in or round July 2011 and my goal is to enroll at my state university (University of Massachusetts). What I am trying to figure out is, what exactly would be required of me to be a successful student in the world of physics? I am currently deployed to Afghanistan and have ample time to prepare for college. Pretty much I am looking for someones opinion to what I should self-teach myself on my spare time to account for loss of knowledge from time spent away from school. I did have physics in high school but only one year, and my maths lead up to only Pre-calc. Should I try to edge my way into calculus? Or strictly focus on Pre-calc and let the professors teach me calculus?
I am just kind of frazzled here and some outside direction would help.

(Note:Prior to the military I was on track for Mech. Engineering but I wanted to go in a completely 180 deg direction to see what else was out there,thus lead to the Army, and I've had a lot of time to think about what I wanted to do,after several years of watching various lectures, colloquiums, and lurking this forum I've become completely enthralled by physics.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Any math preparation you do couldn't hurt. Definitely brush up on any pre-calc that you can, but it's really up to you to decide about calculus. Even though I took calculus in high school for two semesters, I decided to take the Calc. 1 and 2 courses at my school and I don't regret it.

Take a look at introductory-level calculus/physics books (there are a lot listed in the https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21" part of this forum, along with people's thoughts on them) and see what you can make of the ideas. Maybe you'll find that it comes relatively easily to you and you'll be able to do a lot of self-teaching before you get to school.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the curriculum like for a Physics Undergrad starting in 2011?

The curriculum for a Physics Undergrad starting in 2011 will vary depending on the specific university or program. However, most programs will cover topics such as classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics. There may also be opportunities for specialized courses in areas such as astrophysics, nuclear physics, or biophysics.

What skills are necessary for a successful Physics Undergrad starting in 2011?

To be successful in a Physics Undergrad program starting in 2011, you will need a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It is also important to have a curiosity for the natural world and a passion for learning about the fundamental laws that govern it.

What career opportunities are available for a Physics Undergrad starting in 2011?

A degree in physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research, engineering, data analysis, teaching, and more. Graduates can work in industries such as aerospace, energy, healthcare, and technology. Additionally, many physics undergrads go on to pursue graduate studies in physics or related fields.

What resources are available for a Physics Undergrad starting in 2011?

There are many resources available for physics undergrads starting in 2011, including textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, study groups, and academic advisors. Most universities also have well-equipped laboratories for hands-on learning experiences. Additionally, there are various organizations and societies for physics students that offer networking opportunities and support throughout the academic journey.

What challenges might a Physics Undergrad starting in 2011 face?

Physics is a demanding field of study, and as such, physics undergrads starting in 2011 may face challenges such as rigorous coursework, complex mathematical concepts, and time management. It is important to stay organized, seek help when needed, and stay motivated to overcome these challenges and succeed in the program.