Physics vs Astrophysics as a 4yr major

In summary: Thanks for your input! Astrophysics would definitely give you a major advantage in graduate school, but it's not necessary to have a degree in physics if you plan on going into Astrophysics/Space Sciences. Thanks for the information!
HeLiXe
Physics vs Astrophysics as a 4yr major :)

Hello,

I am currently working on my AAS in Physics and am aspiring to be an Astronomer. The area that I live in does not have any colleges which have astrophysics as a major. I will be transferring to a University in a year or so to complete my Bachelor's and I was wondering if I should just stay local and do physics, or if I should relocate to another city or state to do astrophysics. Does it make a major difference having a degree in physics vs astrophysics when working on your graduate degrees in Astronomy/Space Sciences? Is it worth the move, or should I stay and just do a regular physics degree? Thanks for your answers!

Here is a list of the courses for the physics major (junior and senior year) at a school near to me:

JUNIOR YEAR
TERM FIVE

* Modern Physics (3SH)
* Modern Physics Laboratory (1SH)
* Mathematical Physics (3SH)
* Optics (3SH)
* Free Electives (6SH)

TERM SIX

* Quantum Mechanics (4SH)
* Electronics for Scientists with Lab (4SH)
* Classical Mechanics (4SH)
* Free Elective (3SH)

SENIOR YEAR
TERM SEVEN

* Electricity and Magnetism (4SH)
* Advanced Physics Laboratory (2SH)
* Free Elective (3SH)
* Free Electives (6SH)

TERM EIGHT

* Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics (3SH)
* Advanced Physics Topics (4SH)
* Physics Research (3SH)
* Free Electives (4SH)

And a list of courses for a school that offers Astrophysics (junior and senior year):

Junior Year

FALL

HUM 2052 Civilization 2
PHY 3011 Physical Mechanics
PHY 3060 Thermodynamics, Kinetic Theory and Statistical Mechanics
SPS 3020 Methods and Instrumentation
SPS 3030 Orbital Mechanics

SPRING
CREDITS
MTH 3201 Boundary Value Problems
PHY 3035 Quantum Mechanics
PHY 3440 Electromagnetic Theory
Free Elective
Restricted Elective (MTH 3xxx)

Senior Year

FALL
CREDITS
MAE 3061 Fluid Mechanics 1 or
OCE 3030 Fluid Mechanics
PHY 4020 Optics
PHY 4021 Experiments in Optics
SPS 4010 Astrophysics 1
SPS 4200 Senior Seminar 1

Humanities Elective
Technical Elective or Undergraduate Research

SPRING

SPS 4020 Astrophysics 2
SPS 4025 Introduction to Space Plasma Physics** or
SPS 4035 Comparative Planetology**
SPS 4110 Senior Lab
SPS 4210 Senior Seminar 2

Social Science Elective
Technical Elective or Undergraduate Research

Physics news on Phys.org

That depends on what you want to do with it. If you plan on going to grad school, getting a degree in general physics won't hinder your ability to get into an astrophysics graduate program.

In fact, Johns Hopkins University states that they do not offer an undergrad degree in astrophysics because they feel it's better to get a strong foundation in physics before specializing in astrophysics.

Thanks Jack :) I want to go into Astrophysics/Space Sciences in grad school and I was wondering if it would be a smooth transition with Physics for undergrad or if Astrophysics would give me a major advantage. I really appreciate your answer!

HeLiXe said:
Thanks Jack :) I want to go into Astrophysics/Space Sciences in grad school and I was wondering if it would be a smooth transition with Physics for undergrad or if Astrophysics would give me a major advantage. I really appreciate your answer!

In fact, here is exactly what Johns Hopkins says:

Want to be an astronomer or an astrophysicist?

We are often asked whether we offer an undergraduate major in astronomy. We don’t, and for a good reason. The best way to become an astronomer or an astrophysicist is to start with a solid foundation in physics, and that means being a physics major. We do offer a variety of upper level courses on astronomical subjects, and of course there are many opportunities for undergraduates to involve themselves in research. About half of our students who go on to graduate school enroll in physics programs, and the other half in astronomy and astrophysics.

http://physics-astronomy.jhu.edu/admiss/ugrad/why_hopkins.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks again Jack! Very helpful! I've decided to do physics for undergrad. :approve:

Well good news...the school I will be transferring to will have astrophysics I & II as electives under the physics major...they previously had astronomy I solely. I have another question now...but I think it needs a different thread.

What is the difference between Physics and Astrophysics as a 4yr major?

Physics is a broad field that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions, while astrophysics is a specialized branch of physics that focuses on the study of celestial objects, such as stars, planets, and galaxies.

What courses are typically included in a 4yr major in Physics and Astrophysics?

The core courses for a 4yr major in Physics usually include mechanics, electricity and magnetism, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics. Astrophysics majors also take these core courses, but with a focus on applying them to the study of celestial objects.

Can I pursue a career in both Physics and Astrophysics with a 4yr major?

Yes, a 4yr major in Physics and Astrophysics can open up a variety of career opportunities in both fields. Some common career paths for graduates include research positions in universities or government agencies, teaching, and positions in the aerospace industry.

What skills do I need to excel in a 4yr major in Physics and Astrophysics?

Students pursuing a 4yr major in Physics and Astrophysics should have a strong foundation in mathematics and problem-solving skills. They should also have a keen interest in science and a passion for understanding the laws that govern the universe.

Are there any research opportunities for students in a 4yr major in Physics and Astrophysics?

Yes, many universities offer research opportunities for undergraduate students in the fields of Physics and Astrophysics. These opportunities allow students to work with faculty members on cutting-edge research projects and gain valuable hands-on experience in their chosen field.