Double major in Astrophysics and Engineering Physics?

In summary, the speaker is considering double majoring in astrophysics and engineering physics as a way to increase job opportunities in their desired field of astrophysics. They are also wondering about other engineering majors that could complement astrophysics. However, it is noted that pursuing a PhD in astrophysics may not necessarily solve the issue of limited job prospects.
neptune303
I am going to be a high school senior this fall and I want to pursue a career in astrophysics, but the amount of jobs is small, so would it be a good idea to double major in astrophysics and engineering physics? I was also wondering what other engineering majors can go with astrophysics. Also I do plan to get a PhD in astrophysics.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
neptune303 said:
would it be a good idea to double major in astrophysics and engineering physics
This would be a prudent/reasonable strategy if you were to exit with a BS and then work, but if you continue to pursue a PhD you'll have the same marketability problem, only postponed by five years or so.

Likes neptune303

1. What is a double major in Astrophysics and Engineering Physics?

A double major in Astrophysics and Engineering Physics is an undergraduate program that combines the study of astrophysics, which focuses on the physical properties and behavior of celestial objects, and engineering physics, which applies physics principles to design and develop technologies.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a double major in Astrophysics and Engineering Physics?

One of the main benefits of this double major is the diverse range of skills and knowledge you will gain. You will have a strong foundation in both astrophysics and engineering, making you well-equipped for a variety of career paths in both fields. Additionally, this combination of majors can also open up opportunities for research and internships in cutting-edge fields such as space exploration and aerospace engineering.

3. Is it difficult to complete a double major in Astrophysics and Engineering Physics?

It can be challenging to complete a double major in these two fields due to the rigorous coursework and the time and dedication required. However, with proper planning and time management, it is certainly achievable. Many universities also offer resources and support for students pursuing a double major, such as academic advisors and study groups.

4. What career options are available with a double major in Astrophysics and Engineering Physics?

Graduates with a double major in Astrophysics and Engineering Physics have a variety of career options, including roles in space and aerospace industries, research and development, and academia. Some specific job titles may include astrophysicist, aerospace engineer, research scientist, and data analyst.

5. Can I pursue a double major in Astrophysics and Engineering Physics at any university?

While many universities offer both Astrophysics and Engineering Physics as separate majors, not all institutions may offer the option for a double major in these fields. It is important to research and confirm that your chosen university offers this specific program before applying. Additionally, admission to a double major program may also require meeting certain academic criteria and may not be available to all students.