Physics vs. Chemical engineering, difficulty

In summary, the difficulty of obtaining a B.S. in Physics or a B.S. in ChemE depends on the individual's interests, abilities, and the specific program at their chosen school. Both degrees have their own unique challenges and it is ultimately up to the individual to decide which path is best for them.
JFrankParnell
I've heard that engineering (generally) is less difficult than physics but I've also heard that ChemE is the most difficult engineering degree to get. So which is more difficult to get: a B.S. in Physics of a B.S. in ChemE? If ChemE is eaiser, exactly how much easier is it: considerably or only a little? The reason I ask is because I'm a beginning physics major and I'll probably switch over to engineering if I have too much difficulty with advanced-level physics classes. Right now I need to know which minor to choose. If ChemE is a viable "plan B" for me, then I'm going to minor in chemistry so I have more classes that will transfer over to my new major.

Also, if ChemE is not a viable plan B, can anyone suggest some other field of engineering that is, and a minor that will help me out with transferring over to it?

TIA for any help anyone can give.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think its as hard or even harder than physics. Physics majors have an arrogance that their degree is super hard and others can't do it but I think that is unfounded. Physics is no harder or more special than EE or ChemE. In fact, I would claim that for a BS physics is easier than either of those.

Harder in what sense? Engineering degrees usually have more grunt work, because that is necessary for the trade. But physics can just get all whacky theoretical and starts to lose all base with what people see as reality (even if it is reality), and the abstractness is the difficult part. Same thing for math.

JFrankParnell said:
I've heard that engineering (generally) is less difficult than physics but I've also heard that ChemE is the most difficult engineering degree to get. So which is more difficult to get: a B.S. in Physics of a B.S. in ChemE? If ChemE is eaiser, exactly how much easier is it: considerably or only a little? The reason I ask is because I'm a beginning physics major and I'll probably switch over to engineering if I have too much difficulty with advanced-level physics classes. Right now I need to know which minor to choose. If ChemE is a viable "plan B" for me, then I'm going to minor in chemistry so I have more classes that will transfer over to my new major.

Also, if ChemE is not a viable plan B, can anyone suggest some other field of engineering that is, and a minor that will help me out with transferring over to it?

TIA for any help anyone can give.

There are threads like this all the time asking which is harder than the other. What do you mean by "hard"? Different schools have different programs(obviously) that vary in course requirements, and this has nothing to do with an individuals ability. Some schools have strong engineering programs, and some don't.

Do you really want to major in something based on supposed difficulty? Do you like physics? Do you like chemical engineering? What are you trying to do? These are things that are more important to think about, because once you get into the "meat" of any engineering or physics program, it's going to come down to your interest and career options, not the public perception.

JFrankParnell said:
So which is more difficult to get: a B.S. in Physics of a B.S. in ChemE? If ChemE is eaiser, exactly how much easier is it: considerably or only a little?

Why does it matter which is harder? If you're planning to get a 4-year technical degree and it's not something you want to spend you're life doing, you're GONNA HAVE A BAD TIME :devil:.

Visceral is spot on. It completely depends on the school in question.

This is an interesting question. I think its difficult to say unless someone has completed both a chem eng curriculum and a physics curriculum. Of course physics students will say physicsis harder and engineers will say engineering is. I think they are both wrong.

In my opinion, they are different degrees with different purposes.

Physics is an educational degree that is designed to:
Give someone a well rounded background the physical sciences.
Teach one to apply quantitative reasoning to physical problems.
Teach one the basic history of science.
Prepare a student for further education in physics or a closely relatd field.

Chemical Engineering is a vocational degree designed to:
Teach one enough science to do chemical engineering
Teach one to apply quantitative reasoning to problems in chemical engineering
Prepare one to be a chemical engineer

1. What is the main difference between physics and chemical engineering?

The main difference between physics and chemical engineering is that physics is a fundamental science that focuses on understanding the behavior of matter and energy, while chemical engineering is an applied science that uses principles of physics and chemistry to design and develop new products and processes.

2. Which is more difficult, physics or chemical engineering?

The difficulty of physics and chemical engineering can vary for each individual. Generally, physics may be considered more difficult due to its focus on theoretical concepts and mathematical calculations, while chemical engineering involves more practical applications and problem-solving.

3. Can someone with a physics background become a chemical engineer?

Yes, someone with a physics background can become a chemical engineer. Many concepts in physics, such as thermodynamics and fluid mechanics, are applicable to chemical engineering and can provide a strong foundation for understanding the principles behind chemical processes.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math for both physics and chemical engineering?

Yes, a strong understanding of math is essential for both physics and chemical engineering. Physics often involves complex mathematical calculations to explain and predict physical phenomena, while chemical engineering relies on mathematical models to design and optimize processes and systems.

5. Which field offers better job opportunities, physics or chemical engineering?

Both physics and chemical engineering offer a wide range of job opportunities. Physics graduates can find employment in research, academia, and industries such as technology, energy, and aerospace. Chemical engineering graduates can work in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, oil and gas, and food and beverage. Ultimately, the job opportunities will depend on an individual's skills, interests, and career goals.