Physics with a year in industry, then a phd?

In summary, the speaker is about to start their 3rd year of a MSci degree with a year in industry. They are concerned about how this year in industry may affect their chances of getting into a PhD program. They mention that some schools may view it positively, negatively, or not care at all. They also clarify that SB is another way of saying BS and that their undergraduate institution calls it an SB. The speaker asks if it was difficult to get a PhD with a BS and no masters, to which the other person responds that it is common in the US to start a PhD program without a masters.
jbunten
Hi,

I'm about to start the third year of my degree which is a "year in industry" where I'll be working in an industrial research lab. I'll also be taking exams as part of my program but only "core" parts.

Since I'm interested in perhaps doing a phd after I graduate I was wondering if universities will be put off by the fact that I effectively received less of a theoretical education in my third year.

I should point out that I'm in the UK and the degree I'm taking is MSci with a year in industry.

Physics news on Phys.org
I got my SB in three years, worked in industry the following year, and started my PhD the following year. Some graduate schools looked positively on this year, some negatively, and some didn't care.

Excuse my ignorance but what's an SB?

Hang on, I take it it's just another way of saying BS? did you find it hard getting a phd without a 4 year degree?

He probably meant BS. He did his PhD after working for a year after getting his bachelor's.

My undergraduate institution calls their bachelor's degree a SB, not a BS. They're funny that way.

So did you find it hard to get a phd with a BS and no masters?

In the US it is usual to start a PhD program without an MS.

1. What is "Physics with a year in industry, then a phd"?

"Physics with a year in industry, then a phd" is a specialized program that combines undergraduate and graduate studies in physics with a year of work experience in an industry setting. It allows students to gain practical skills and knowledge while pursuing their academic studies, preparing them for careers in both industry and academia.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing this program?

There are several benefits to pursuing "Physics with a year in industry, then a phd." Firstly, it provides students with hands-on experience in a real-world environment, allowing them to apply their theoretical knowledge in practical ways. Additionally, it allows students to network and make connections in their chosen industry, which can lead to job opportunities after graduation. Finally, it sets students apart from their peers by demonstrating their ability to balance academic studies with work experience.

3. What types of industries can students work in during their year in industry?

Students can work in a variety of industries during their year in industry, such as aerospace, energy, healthcare, technology, and more. The specific industry will depend on the student's interests and the availability of opportunities. However, the program is designed to provide students with a broad range of skills that can be applied to various industries.

4. Can students apply for a phd program after completing their year in industry?

Yes, students who complete the "Physics with a year in industry" program are typically well-prepared to continue their studies and pursue a phd. The practical experience gained during the year in industry can also be beneficial for phd research projects. However, acceptance into a phd program is not guaranteed and will depend on the student's academic performance and research interests.

5. How long does it take to complete this program?

The program typically takes four to five years to complete, depending on the university and the specific phd program. The first three years are dedicated to undergraduate coursework, while the fourth year is spent in industry. The final year is focused on completing the phd research project and defending the thesis. Overall, this program allows students to earn a phd in a shorter amount of time than traditional programs, while also gaining valuable work experience.