1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Physics with a year in industry, then a phd?

1. Jun 25, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I'm about to start the third year of my degree which is a "year in industry" where I'll be working in an industrial research lab. I'll also be taking exams as part of my program but only "core" parts.

Since I'm interested in perhaps doing a phd after I graduate I was wondering if universities will be put off by the fact that I effectively received less of a theoretical education in my third year.

I should point out that I'm in the UK and the degree I'm taking is MSci with a year in industry.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2008 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

I got my SB in three years, worked in industry the following year, and started my PhD the following year. Some graduate schools looked positively on this year, some negatively, and some didn't care.

4. Jun 25, 2008 #3
    Excuse my ignorance but what's an SB?

5. Jun 25, 2008 #4
    Hang on, I take it it's just another way of saying BS? did you find it hard getting a phd without a 4 year degree?

6. Jun 25, 2008 #5

Defennder

Homework Helper

He probably meant BS. He did his PhD after working for a year after getting his bachelor's.

7. Jun 26, 2008 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

My undergraduate institution calls their bachelor's degree a SB, not a BS. They're funny that way.

8. Jun 26, 2008 #7
    So did you find it hard to get a phd with a BS and no masters?

9. Jun 26, 2008 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

In the US it is usual to start a PhD program without an MS.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?