Physics with rigorous math - need advice

In summary, the conversation revolved around the connection between physics and math, with the individual expressing their confusion as a physics student who prefers rigorous math but wants to work in the field of general relativity. They wondered if it was possible to combine the two disciplines or if physics was solely based on experiments. The conversation also touched upon the differences in understanding of "rigorous" math between physicists and mathematicians, and the need for more information about the individual's academic background to provide meaningful advice.
leo.
Hi all, I have a doubt regarding the connection between physics and math. I'm studying physics at college but I'm a little confused. My main area of interest is general relativity, so what I really want to do is to work on that area, however I prefer (and I have more hability) to atack problems with rigorous math rather with physical intuition.

The point here is: I have more hability when rigorous math is involved, however I don't want to become mathematician, I want to work with physics in general relativity. I know that physics needs experiment, and that is why I feel confused.

Can someone give me an advice about that ? Is there a way to combine the study of physics with rigorous math or it's only possible to work with physics through experiments ?

Thanks a lot in advance and sorry if I've said something very silly, if I did is because I really don't understand this completely.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I'm sure that other members will be much more equipped to answer your question, but it sounds to me like you just described the field of mathematical physics.

Possibly what PiAreSquared said. Physics doesn't only require experiment. There's both theory and experiment and they aren't mutually exclusive either. I think "rigorous" in this case may be ill-defined. What courses are you taking right now? Rigorous math in a physicist's eyes may be completely different than that of a mathematician's. If you are only taking an introductory sequence right now, the math will become more interesting in your later courses, but it won't be on the level of say, real analysis.

Where on the path are you? High school? Grad school? What math have you taken?

If you want meaningful responses to this sort of question you need to provide some details.

As a fellow scientist, I understand your confusion and desire to find a balance between physics and rigorous math. The truth is, both are necessary for a complete understanding of physics and its applications.

While experiments are crucial for validating theories and making new discoveries, rigorous math is the foundation upon which these theories are built. It allows us to make precise calculations and predictions, and it also helps us to identify any flaws in our understanding of a particular phenomenon.

In the field of general relativity, both physics and math are equally important. In fact, the famous equations of general relativity, known as Einstein's field equations, are a beautiful combination of both physics and math. They describe the relationship between matter and the curvature of space-time, and they are derived from rigorous mathematical principles.

My advice to you would be to continue honing your skills in both physics and math. Don't feel like you have to choose one over the other. Instead, try to find ways to integrate them in your studies and research. For example, you could explore the mathematical foundations of general relativity while also conducting experiments to test its predictions.

Remember, as a scientist, it is important to have a broad understanding of both theory and experimentation. By combining physics and rigorous math, you will have a stronger understanding of general relativity and be better equipped to make new discoveries in this exciting field. Keep pursuing your interests and don't be afraid to ask for guidance from your professors or fellow researchers. Good luck!

What types of math are used in physics?

In physics, you will encounter a variety of math concepts such as calculus, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and statistics. These are essential tools for understanding and solving complex problems in physics.

How important is mathematical rigor in physics?

Mathematical rigor is crucial in physics as it ensures that the solutions and conclusions drawn from mathematical equations are accurate and reliable. Without rigorous math, the results of experiments and theories in physics can be flawed.

What are some tips for mastering physics with rigorous math?

Firstly, it is essential to have a strong foundation in basic math concepts. Practice solving problems and understanding the underlying principles rather than just memorizing formulas. Additionally, seek help from professors or tutors if you are struggling with a particular concept.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills, it is essential to practice regularly and work through different types of problems. Also, try breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts and use logical reasoning to solve them.

Are there any resources available for learning physics with rigorous math?

Yes, there are many resources available, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. It is also beneficial to join study groups or attend extra help sessions offered by your school's physics department. Additionally, many universities offer online courses and lectures on physics with rigorous math.