1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics1 honors vs astronomy regulars?

1. Jun 19, 2012 #1
    A couple of my friends are going to switch out of physics honors for astronomy because they think its much easier and I want to know if it's easier. I did a little research and both use trigonometry so why would they go into astronomy ? Thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your assesment of difficulty is "they both use trigonometry"? What about Calculus or Differential Equations? What about thermodynamics and Relativity? I'll bet they both require each of those also. The basic fact is that MOST of the course work for physics and astronomy overlap (in fact, in most colleges "Astronomy" is a subdepartment of "Physics"). But frankly, you choice of what to major in and, hopefully, to spend your life working in, should not be based on "which is easier"!

(As I wrote that I suddenly remembered that a major reason why I majored in Mathematics rather than Physics was that Physics majors were required to take Physical Chemistry and I hated chemistry!)

4. Jun 19, 2012 #3
    I was talking about at the highschool level not college level, but you're right

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook