Pi meson decay (relativistic momentum)

In summary, the muon has a higher speed than the neutrino after the collision. The neutrino has a kinetic energy of K/c2.
RyanP

Homework Statement

A charged π meson (rest mass = 273me) decays into a neutrino (zero rest mass) and a μ meson (rest mass = 207me). Find the kinetic energies of the neutrino and the mu meson.

Homework Equations

E = moγc2
K = mo(γ-1)c2
v = pc2/E
p = moγv

The Attempt at a Solution

In the rest frame of the pi meson (S frame),
Ei = 273mec2
Ef = 207meγc2 + K where γ is the gamma factor of the mu meson and K is the energy (kinetic) of the neutrino.

Since the neutrino has no rest mass, it travels at c, so pv = Ev/c = K/c.

I couldn't figure out how to carry on in this frame, so I switched to an S' frame where the mu meson is at rest.

In this frame,
p'i = -273meγv where v is the speed of the pi meson initially (equal to the speed of the mu meson in the pi rest frame).
p'f = -E'nu/c since the neutrino is the only thing moving after the collision in this frame.

E'i = 273meγc2
E'f = 207me + E'nu

How do I proceed from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Go back to the rest frame of the pion. Since the pion is initially at rest, the initial momentum in this frame is zero. Since momentum is conserved, the final momentum is zero also. So what do you know about the momenta of the neutrino and the muon?

phyzguy said:
Go back to the rest frame of the pion. Since the pion is initially at rest, the initial momentum in this frame is zero. Since momentum is conserved, the final momentum is zero also. So what do you know about the momenta of the neutrino and the muon?
The momentum of the neutrino is equal and opposite to the momentum of the muon - should I solve for the speed of the muon?

You should be able to write four equations for the four unknowns, Enu, Emu, pnu, pmu.

Ended up with a quadratic equation for v (speed of the muon), in terms of both masses and c. Brute-forced it with the quadratic formula and got the right answer.

1. What is a Pi meson?

A Pi meson, also known as a Pion, is a subatomic particle that is part of the hadron family. It is composed of a quark and an antiquark, specifically an up quark and a down antiquark. It has a mass approximately 273 times that of an electron.

2. What is Pi meson decay?

Pi meson decay is the process by which a Pion particle transforms into other particles. This can occur through two main processes: weak decay, where the Pion decays into a lepton and a neutrino, or strong decay, where the Pion decays into two or three other hadrons.

3. How does relativistic momentum affect Pi meson decay?

Relativistic momentum refers to the momentum of particles traveling at speeds close to the speed of light. In the case of Pi meson decay, relativistic momentum plays a significant role in determining the decay products and their energies. This is because at high speeds, the mass of the Pion increases, leading to a larger energy release during decay.

4. What is the significance of studying Pi meson decay?

Studying Pi meson decay allows scientists to better understand the fundamental forces and interactions that govern the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. It also provides insights into the structure and properties of hadrons, which are essential building blocks of matter.

5. How is Pi meson decay studied?

Pi meson decay is studied through experiments that involve accelerating particles to high energies and colliding them with a target material. The resulting decay products are then detected and analyzed to determine the decay process and the properties of the Pion particle. Theoretical calculations and computer simulations also play a crucial role in understanding Pi meson decay.