Issue calculating the velocity of pions from K-meson decay

In summary, the conversation discusses the measurement of the length, angles, and curvature of tracks in a hydrogen bubble chamber. The formula for calculating momentum and kinetic energy is used to determine the total energy of the pions, with a correction for their relativistic speed. There is a mistake in the initial calculation due to converting between MeV and J.
mountevans

Homework Statement

We were supplied with several images of hydrogen bubble chamber tracks, from which we measured the length of the (invisible) K0 track, angles of departure from the K0 meson's track and curvature. As a way to limit the amount of data we're talking about, I'll only discuss the first particle. The length of the K0's track was 0.016 m, the radius of curvature of the π+ was 0.65 m, the π- 0.50 m, the angles of departure (π+-) were 44 and 24 degrees respectively, and the magnetic field was 1.4 Teslas.

The momentum of the positive k meson tracks is given as 535 MeV/c. Rest mass of positive and negative pions is 139.57 MeV/c2. c = 3*108 m/s, of course.

Homework Equations

p = q*r*B
T = 1/2 mv2
γ = 1/√(1-v2/c2)
p [in MeV/c] = 3 ∗ 102 ∗ r [in m] ∗ B [in T]
F = mv2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the formula for p above, 3 ∗ 102 * (0.65 m) * (1.4 T), I get 382.6 MeV/c for the π+ and 294.3 MeV/c for the π- total momenta.

However, I'm now at the step where I think I need to determine the total energy of the pions so I can apply a gamma correction to their speed. When I take the above equations,

F = mv2/r and p = mv = q*r*B

I find that v must equal q*r*B/m, where m is the mass(-energy?) of the pions. So, here appears to lie my mistake: I divided 382.6 MeV/c by 139.57 MeV/c2, and got 2.74, which I would assume is in units of c (which can't be right for v, since nothing exceeds v least of all a pion). So it seems like I'm missing a factor here - should I have converted the momenta in MeV/c to eV/c?

For the later components of this homework, we simply use 2D kinematics to find the momentum vectors of the pions - the sum of the components in-axis with the path of the kaon should equal the momentum of the neutral kaon, and the total momentum in the normal axis should sum to zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
mountevans said:
F = mv2/r and p = mv = q*r*B

Those equations are non-relativistic. You can use the relationship ##E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2## where ##E## is the total energy of the particle and ##p## is the relativistic momentum. Also, your expression for the kinetic energy is should be ##T=(\gamma-1)mc^2 = E - mc^2##.

vela said:
Those equations are non-relativistic. You can use the relationship ##E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2## where ##E## is the total energy of the particle and ##p## is the relativistic momentum. Also, your expression for the kinetic energy is should be ##T=(\gamma-1)mc^2 = E - mc^2##.

Is ##p=γmv## correct in this instance? (where m = rest mass). Would the rest energy of the pion be 139.57 * (3*108)2 MeV, rather than the mass (in MeV/c2)? When going from mass to energy, if I'm not using c=1, I need to actually multiply by c2, right?

Last edited:
It was simply a problem with converting between MeV and J, if you can believe it. This page was very helpful.

What is a pion and a K-meson?

A pion is a subatomic particle made up of two quarks (a quark-antiquark pair) and is part of the hadron family. A K-meson, also known as a kaon, is another type of subatomic particle made up of a quark and an antiquark. Both pions and K-mesons are unstable and decay quickly.

Why is calculating the velocity of pions from K-meson decay important?

Calculating the velocity of pions from K-meson decay is important in understanding the fundamental properties of subatomic particles and their interactions. It can also help in studying the decay process and validating theoretical models.

What factors affect the velocity of pions from K-meson decay?

The velocity of pions from K-meson decay is affected by various factors such as the energies and momenta of the particles involved, the distance traveled, and any external forces acting on them. The type of decay and the conservation laws of energy and momentum also play a role.

How is the velocity of pions from K-meson decay measured?

The velocity of pions from K-meson decay can be measured using various techniques, such as tracking detectors, time-of-flight measurements, and particle identification methods. These techniques involve measuring the trajectory, time of flight, and energy of the particles to determine their velocity.

What are the applications of studying pion and K-meson decay?

Studying pion and K-meson decay has various applications in fields such as nuclear and particle physics, astrophysics, and medical imaging. It can also provide insights into the early universe and the behavior of matter at high energies.