Picking Engineering Program, choices

In summary: Just because the math you want to do is not in the core courses of your major, there's no reason you can't take the courses you're really interested in as electives.Operations research is sometimes in engineering schools - sometimes called Industrial Engineering. It emphasizes probability, probability modelling (stochastic processes), statistics, and optimization, in a context of how to use it to help industry. Might be the kind of thing you are looking for. Tends to be on the mathematical side, and meshes well with CS and/or Math electives. Just a thought. Here are a couple programs:http://www.orie.cornell.edu/http://ieor
ZeroPivot
So I'm very interested in mathematics and computer science, and I would like to work with complex algorithms and mathematical optimization of code I don't want to be a run-of-the-mill programmer.
Not sure what the exact term is for what I described, anyone knows?

Anyways what engineering degree is best suited for me?

I was looking at the CS engineering program and they had very little math they don't even have multi-variable calculus only linear algebra and single variable.

I was looking at engineering physics and it has the most maths which i like but has a bunch of boring classical physics / modern physics classes. Good thing about it though is that i can pick a Masters in Applied Mathematics branch - System optimization.

Electrical had good math, cs and circuits but i couldn't pick the Applied Math masters after bachelors.

Thanks for reading, any help/tips will be greatly appreciated-

Physics news on Phys.org
From your post it seems a degree in applied math (specifically computational) would suit you better than an engineering degree.

No I want an engineering degree.

Yes but from what you have said it really doesn't sound like an engineering degree is for you.

ZeroPivot said:
So I'm very interested in mathematics and computer science, and I would like to work with complex algorithms and mathematical optimization of code I don't want to be a run-of-the-mill programmer.
Not sure what the exact term is for what I described, anyone knows?
Computer Science is the field concerned with what you've mentioned above. Many of the mathematics you need for algorithm analysis will be taught in CS courses, so don't rely purely on course prefixes.

ZeroPivot said:
No I want an engineering degree.

But an engineering degree will not have you doing what you want. So make your choice.

The closest you can get with engineering is probably computer engineering (specifically a software engineer). However, that will mainly be developing software for a variety of purposes, or even base level programming for processors, etc. From what I know when it comes to optimizing code in general, that's in the computer science field.

Even if you decide on an engineering field to go into, even electrical engineering does not offer much math, as well as the majority of your classes will be at a general level and not teach you the material you want.

You are probably much better off seeking a dual major in CS and Math. Following that you can go on to any grad school for a master's in applied math.

Last edited:
Sentin3l said:
But an engineering degree will not have you doing what you want. So make your choice.

The closest you can get with engineering is probably computer engineering (specifically a software engineer). However, that will mainly be developing software for a variety of purposes, or even base level programming for processors, etc. From what I know when it comes to optimizing code in general, that's in the computer science field.

Even if you decide on an engineering field to go into, even electrical engineering does not offer much math, as well as the majority of your classes will be at a general level and not teach you the material you want.

You are probably much better off seeking a dual major in CS and Math. Following that you can go on to any grad school for a master's in applied math.

There is engineering mathematics, which gives a masters in applied maths.

http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/ugrad/focusAreas.shtml

A lot of schools offer Computer Science Engineering. At my school, UC Davis, CSE is more rigorous and you have to take a bunch of engineering and math classes. Computer Science in the college of Letters and Science is easier to get through because you don't have to take all the math and circuits and stuff.

For your interests it sounds like CSE would be a great way to go.

BTW in my experience Engineering Physics is a tough-to-employ degree compared to CS or EE.

Something that I don't think has been mentioned yet is to pay attention to the elective slots in the programs you are considering.

Just because the math you want to do is not in the core courses of your major, there's no reason you can't take the courses you're really interested in as electives.

Operations research is sometimes in engineering schools - sometimes called Industrial Engineering. It emphasizes probability, probability modelling (stochastic processes), statistics, and optimization, in a context of how to use it to help industry. Might be the kind of thing you are looking for. Tends to be on the mathematical side, and meshes well with CS and/or Math electives. Just a thought. Here are a couple programs:

http://www.orie.cornell.edu/
http://ieor.columbia.edu/
http://www.ieor.berkeley.edu/

jason

What are the different types of engineering programs available?

There are several types of engineering programs, including mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, civil engineering, chemical engineering, and computer engineering. Each program focuses on different areas of study and has its own unique curriculum and career opportunities.

What factors should I consider when choosing an engineering program?

When choosing an engineering program, it is important to consider factors such as your interests and strengths, the reputation and accreditation of the program, the location and cost of the program, and the career opportunities and job market for graduates of the program.

How can I determine which engineering program is the best fit for me?

To determine which engineering program is the best fit for you, you can research the curriculum and course offerings of each program, talk to current students and alumni, attend campus tours and open houses, and consider any specialized programs or research opportunities offered by the program.

What are some common misconceptions about engineering programs?

Some common misconceptions about engineering programs include that they are only for people who are good at math and science, that all engineering programs are the same, and that engineering is a boring and uncreative field. In reality, engineering programs require a diverse set of skills, each program has its own unique focus and opportunities, and engineering involves creativity and problem-solving.

What can I do with an engineering degree?

With an engineering degree, you can pursue a variety of career paths in industries such as aerospace, automotive, construction, energy, technology, and more. You can also choose to continue your education with graduate studies or pursue a career in research and development. The possibilities are endless with an engineering degree.