Pigs in space and circular orbit

In summary, the problem involves two particles of mass ##m## and ##M## undergoing uniform circular motion about each other at a separation of ##R## under the influence of an attractive force ##F##. The angular velocity is ##\omega## radians per second. By using the equations for force and acceleration, it is possible to show that ##R = \frac{F}{\omega^2}\left( \frac{1}{m} + \frac{1}{M} \right)##. The origin of the center of mass is used to find the angular velocities and accelerations, leading to the final solution.
swevener

Homework Statement

Two [STRIKE]particles[/STRIKE] pigs of mass ##m## and ##M## undergo uniform circular motion about each other at a separation of ##R## under the influence of an attractive force ##F##. The angular velocity is ##\omega## radians per second. Show that [tex]R = \frac{F}{\omega^2}\left( \frac{1}{m} + \frac{1}{M} \right).[/tex]

Homework Equations

##F = ma##

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble reconciling my physical reasoning (which is probably wrong) with the given answer. Okay so since the pigs are orbiting each other I think that means their tangential velocities are equal. And we've got a central force ##F## keeping them a distance ##R## apart.

The book hasn't covered center of mass yet, but I don't care; I want to find the center of mass. (It's likely this is where I'm going astray, but this is what makes sense to me, so I'm going to do it and hope you'll tell me why I'm wrong.) Let's put the origin at ##M## for the time being, so the center of mass is ##mR/(m+M)## along the line connecting ##m## and ##M##. That makes the distance of ##m## from the center of mass ##R - mR/(m+M) = MR/(m+M)##. Now move the origin to the center of mass and define ##r_M = mR/(m+M)## and ##r_m = MR/(m+M)##, noting that if ##m = M##, ##r_m = r_M = R/2##, so that seems okay.

With respect to my possibly inconvenient origin, ##m## and ##M## have the same tangential velocity ##v## but will have different angular velocities, ##v = r_m \omega_m = r_M \omega_M##. But with respect to the midpoint between them, I think they'd have the same angular velocity ##v = (R/2) \omega##. With that relation we can get [tex]\omega_M = \frac{R}{2 r_M} \omega = \frac{m + M}{2m} \omega[/tex] and [tex]\omega_m = \frac{R}{2 r_m} \omega = \frac{m + M}{2M} \omega.[/tex] (Edit: Looking at this again, these equations would mean ##\omega_M \ge \omega_m##, which doesn't make sense when ##r_M \le r_m##. :frown:)

Now the accelerations. For ##M##, [tex]\mathbf{a}_M = -\frac{F}{M} \hat{r} = -r_M \omega_M^2 \hat{r} \rightarrow \frac{F}{M} - r_M \omega_M^2 = 0.[/tex] For ##m##, [tex]\mathbf{a}_m = -\frac{F}{m} \hat{r} = -r_m \omega_m^2 \hat{r} \rightarrow \frac{F}{m} - r_m \omega_m^2 = 0.[/tex]

Since 0 + 0 = 0, [tex]\frac{F}{M} + \frac{F}{m} - r_M \omega_M^2 - r_m \omega_m^2 = 0.[/tex] At this point, if I just let ##r_M \omega_M^2 = r_m \omega_m^2 = v^2 / (R/2) = R \omega^2 / 2##, the answer pops right out. That doesn't make much sense to me, though. Why would the same force acting on two unequal masses yield the same acceleration? So I'll keep going. [tex]\begin{align}F \left( \frac{m + M}{mM} \right) &= r_M \omega_M^2 + r_m \omega_m^2 \\
&= r_M \left( \frac{m + M}{2m} \omega \right)^2 + r_m \left( \frac{m + M}{2M} \omega \right)^2 \\
\frac{F}{mM} &= r_M \frac{m + M}{4m^2} \omega^2 + r_m \frac{m + M}{4M^2} \omega^2 \\
&= \left( \frac{mR}{m+M} \frac{m+M}{4m^2} + \frac{MR}{m+M} \frac{m+M}{4M^2} \right) \omega^2 \\
&= \left( \frac{1}{m} + \frac{1}{M} \right) \frac{R \omega^2}{4} \\
F &= \frac{R \omega^2 (m + M)}{4}.\end{align}[/tex] Thus [tex]R = \frac{4F}{\omega^2 (m+M)}.[/tex]So why am I wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind. I got it. (See the edit.)

1. What is a circular orbit?

A circular orbit is a type of orbit where an object is moving around another object in a circular path.

2. Can pigs survive in space?

No, pigs cannot survive in space without proper equipment and protection. The lack of oxygen and extreme temperatures would be fatal for pigs.

3. What is the purpose of sending pigs into space?

The purpose of sending pigs into space is usually for scientific research or testing the effects of microgravity on living organisms.

4. How do pigs adapt to a zero-gravity environment in space?

Pigs, like other animals, do not have the ability to adapt to a zero-gravity environment. They would need specialized equipment and training in order to survive in space.

5. Is there a planned mission for pigs in space?

As of now, there are no official plans for a mission specifically for pigs in space. However, there have been experiments and tests conducted on pigs in space as part of larger missions.