Pink Floyd and comparable bands like Led Zeppelin and Fleetwood Mac

  • Thread starter Thread starter chaoseverlasting
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
45 replies · 8K views
Danger said:
If you were really into them, you wouldn't call them that. The band name was 'The Mothers'. The label, sensing something sinister, forced them to add 'of Invention'.
I used the full name so people would know who I was talking about. I actually saw them at the Catacombs in Houston.

Math Is Hard said:
ahhh.. ok. I could not place Mothers of Inventions without the Frank Zappa association.

Moon Unit and I are the same age and I was one of her Valley Girl folllowers. (Except in my case it was Tennessee Valley... "like,totally fer sher, y'all.")
Too funny.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
I'm a "girl" and Pink Floyd is one of my favorite bands of all time.

You're also on a physics forum.
 
Pythagorean said:
Pink Floyd is probably the best band ever. I've always had David Gilmour as my avatar
<--------------------------------

But I don't listen to them much anymore because I know every note and lyric by heart now so I can just play it in my head on demand.

I wondered why your avatar was familiar - I was at high school (the Perse) with David, though I was two years younger and his hair was shorter then.

We all wondered whether "Another Brick in the Wall Part 2" was about our school, however as it was written by Roger Waters we knew it was really referring to the rival Cambridgeshire High School for Boys just down the road!

Garth
 
pink-floyd-dark-side-of-the-moon.png

Gotta love the prism.
 
mgb_phys said:
No it seems you're a girl :wink:

i was introduced to pink floyd by a girlfriend who found it very sensual, so i was naturally intrigued. :devil:

i can't say it really affects me that way, but it is good drinking music. or any other time that you want to slip into that sort of mood.
 
turbo-1 said:
My money is on synching Meddle with Eraserhead.

YES! I freakin' LOVE Eraserhead!
 
Ivan Seeking said:
I loved PF the first time I heard them - when DSOTM was first released - and have ever since.

Tsu and I tried the Wizard of Oz bit, and it is pretty surprising. [start the music at the third roar of the MGM lion]

Check it out, Ivan. Somebody synced it and posted on youtube. I am going to watch this tonight. W00t!

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Math Is Hard said:
YES! I freakin' LOVE Eraserhead!
A kindred soul! It's the first Leach movie I ever saw, and I was practically alone in the theater. My wife was in intensive care following a severe auto accident, and I needed a distraction. Got it!
 
I just looked in my hard-drive and I have 5.37GB of Pink Floyd MP3s. Humm. PF discussions on PF.
 
Garth said:
I wondered why your avatar was familiar - I was at high school (the Perse) with David, though I was two years younger and his hair was shorter then.

We all wondered whether "Another Brick in the Wall Part 2" was about our school, however as it was written by Roger Waters we knew it was really referring to the rival Cambridgeshire High School for Boys just down the road!

Garth

Haha, small wolrd. Gilmour is probably my favorite guitarist. He puts a lot of character and personality into every note.

Of course, once Waters left the band, the awesome conceptual style of their albums and overall message went kinda' down hill.

Pink Floyd and Physcs:
http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/211_fall2004.web.dir/keegan_keplinger/Frameset.htm
 
Math Is Hard said:
I always thought I was. I am really surprised Evo doesn't like PF. I thought everyone loved PF. :confused:

To me, the holy trinity is The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd. Those are the three I just can't live without.

Ditto for me. Although I might add the Pretenders in there, too. (which would make it a holy quadnity?) :biggrin:
 
Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
We should hang out, Hypatia. We can watch Star Trek TOS episodes and listen to Pink Floyd. :biggrin:

ooh, hey, I know - we can sync up "The Wizard of Oz" with Dark Side of the Moon. I always wanted to try that.

DO IT! It's cool. :cool:
 
Funny thing, this years senior class at my HS voted for "Another Brick in the wall" as their class song, rather funny considering some of the lyrics.
 
mgb_phys said:
Be careful it can lead to the hard stuff. You do a little Pink Floyd and then your freinds get you to try some early Genesis and soon you are into Peter Gabriel.

Like Turbo-1 said, I am done for! I love this music! Pink Floyd has the most amazing songs! My all time favorite is Echoes. I have never heard another song that comes close. I don't even know if I should call it a song, its so much more than that! I love that early FM stuff, I have yet to listen to Genesis though. Its like all this great music that just skipped a whole generation.
 
Math Is Hard said:
I always thought I was. I am really surprised Evo doesn't like PF. I thought everyone loved PF. :confused:

To me, the holy trinity is The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd. Those are the three I just can't live without.

For me, it would be Beatles, Pink and the Velvets.