Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pipeline structural Support loading case from riser pipeline.

1. Jun 4, 2013 #1
    Hi all,

I am trying to designing a structural pipeline support. The pipeline is at a 60 degree angle and is connected to a riser pipeline - I have the transferred loads that the pipeline will experience from the riser and have created an FBD.

I initially thought the load that the support would carry would be perpendicular to the pipeline Fb (see diagram) but I also think there would be Fa to consider also. I am also under the assumption that the moment would not add to the supported load.

Can anyone offer advice about the best way in finding the loads that the support will have to carry. As I am unsure whether I am on the right track.

Thanks in advance
    J

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2013 #2
    edit: Yes. You have to consider the reaction due to your Fy. The weight of the pipe and fluid due to gravity, and also the axial forces due to bends, connections, etc.

4. Jun 5, 2013 #3
    thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook