Pipelines: Loss coefficiency on Clean Water VS Slurry

In summary, K is a minor loss coefficient that is based on the Darcy-Weisbach equation. It is only used for entrance and exit losses, bends, and other specific restrictions. It is multiplied by the viscosity and density of the fluid to come up with the total loss coefficient. If the flow is not in the turbulent regime, then the 3-K method can be used. Non-Newtonian fluids have limited data that can be used to estimate minor losses.
Su Solberg
Hi Guys, I have a problem about the loss coefficient.

Head loss = K * (v^2/2g)

Where K is the loss coefficients.

This equation is base on Darcy-Weisbach equation.

I wonder how is K varies for same flow rate, same device with a different viscosity and density.

Thanks a lots in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Good question. Normally, K isn't adjusted for viscosity or density. K is generally only used for minor losses such as entrance and exit losses, bends and other specific restrictions and is simply added to fL/D to come up with a total loss coefficient. Note that f takes into account viscosity and density, so these factors are accounted for on a typical piping system, but I've never seen K adjusted for these factors. I think you probably could, just as flow coefficient for a valve (Cv) is sometimes modified to account for viscosity, but unless it's an unusual system, the adjustment probably wouldn't be too significant.

Q_Goest said:
Good question. Normally, K isn't adjusted for viscosity or density. K is generally only used for minor losses such as entrance and exit losses, bends and other specific restrictions and is simply added to fL/D to come up with a total loss coefficient. Note that f takes into account viscosity and density, so these factors are accounted for on a typical piping system, but I've never seen K adjusted for these factors. I think you probably could, just as flow coefficient for a valve (Cv) is sometimes modified to account for viscosity, but unless it's an unusual system, the adjustment probably wouldn't be too significant.

Yes, only the frictional constant F relates to viscosity and density.

However, since my pipeline is a bit short, just 7m with numbers of fitting, so the only loss is K, minor loss coefficient.

I am curious whether I can estimate the head when system is feeded with slurry by the clear water head which majorly come from K by mutiplying Ratio of Slurry S.G. to Clear water.
(K is base on expermental method of clear water?? I think.)

Thanks for your kind help.

Su Solberg said:
I am curious whether I can estimate the head when system is feeded with slurry by the clear water head which majorly come from K by mutiplying Ratio of Slurry S.G. to Clear water.
(K is base on expermental method of clear water?? I think.)
I think what you're asking is can you multiply K by the ratio for your slurry divided by that of water. (ie: multiply K by specific gravity of your slurry.) I don't think that will work at all. Let's start over.

There are methods out there that allow adjusting K for viscosity. The simplest thing to do is to simply use the L/D ratio for your restrictions where available. For example, an elbow may have an L/D ratio of 5, so just use that and determine the friction factor normally. That way you eliminate the use of K and you use equivalent length instead for the various restrictions.

You might also consider using the two-K and three-K method as described http://www.cheresources.com/eqlength.shtml" [Broken]. I'm not familiar with these methods but from what I understand, they are useful in correcting for actual Reynolds number. Probably the best thing to do would be to pull the original papers (listed below) and review them. I'd be interested in what you find out, so if you decide to do so, feel free to update us on what you find out.

One other web page looks promising http://www.cheresources.com/invisio...ethod-for-excess-head-loss-in-pipe-fittings/". If you download the Excel spread sheets, feel free to post them here so I don't have to join that site! :wink:

1. Hooper, W. B., The Two-K Method Predicts Head Losses in Pipe Fittings, Chem. Eng., p. 97-100, August 24, 1981.
2. Darby, R., Correlate Pressure Drops through Fittings, Chem. Eng., p. 101-104, July, 1999.

Last edited by a moderator:
Su Solberg said:
Hi Guys, I have a problem about the loss coefficient.

Head loss = K * (v^2/2g)

Where K is the loss coefficients.

This equation is base on Darcy-Weisbach equation.

I wonder how is K varies for same flow rate, same device with a different viscosity and density.

Thanks a lots in advance.

K is independent of those parameters if the flow is fully turbulent (high Reynolds numbers).
If you are not in the turbulent regime you can use the 3-K method.
Another thing to keep in mind - your slurry is probably a non Newtonian fluid (the viscosity depends on the shear rate). there are very limited data and correlations for minor losses of non Newtonian fluids.

1. What is the difference between loss coefficiency on clean water and slurry pipelines?

The loss coefficiency on pipelines refers to the amount of energy lost due to friction and other factors during the transportation of fluids. Clean water and slurry have different properties, such as viscosity and density, which affect the loss coefficiency. Slurry pipelines typically have a higher loss coefficiency due to the larger particles and higher viscosity.

2. How is the loss coefficiency calculated for pipelines?

The loss coefficiency for pipelines is typically calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account factors such as fluid velocity, pipe diameter, and roughness of the pipe. The equation can be solved using various methods, such as the Hazen-Williams method or the Manning formula.

3. What factors can affect the loss coefficiency on pipelines?

Some factors that can affect the loss coefficiency on pipelines include the type of fluid being transported, the velocity of the fluid, the diameter and roughness of the pipe, and the presence of bends or fittings. The properties of the fluid, such as viscosity and density, also play a significant role in determining the loss coefficiency.

4. How can the loss coefficiency be reduced on pipelines?

There are several ways to reduce the loss coefficiency on pipelines. One way is to decrease the fluid velocity, as this will reduce the amount of friction and energy loss. Another method is to use smoother pipes or coatings that reduce the roughness of the pipe. Additionally, minimizing the number of bends and fittings in the pipeline can also help decrease the loss coefficiency.

5. How does the loss coefficiency on pipelines impact the overall efficiency of fluid transportation?

The loss coefficiency on pipelines can significantly impact the overall efficiency of fluid transportation. A higher loss coefficiency means more energy is required to transport the fluid, resulting in higher operating costs. It can also lead to lower flow rates and longer transport times. Therefore, it is essential to consider the loss coefficiency when designing and operating pipelines to ensure efficient and cost-effective fluid transportation.