PKa of 2-nitrophenol vs 3-nitrophenol

  • Thread starter Thread starter flybynight
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 19K views
flybynight
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I am given the structures for 2-nitrophenol and 3-nitrophenol, and asked which one has the higher pKa and why.

Homework Equations


pKa=-log(Ka)

The Attempt at a Solution


I looked up the pKas in a reference and found the pKa of 2-nitrophenol to be 7.17 while the pKa of 3-nitrophenol to be 8.28. My question is why, though. The structures are very similar. I was wondering if the electronegative -NO2 (being father away from the O- than in 2-nitrophenol) would stabilize the conjugate base of 3-nitrophenol, by delocalizing the negative charge, making it more willing to give up the proton. However, the opposite seems to be the case.

Any hints?
Peter
 
Physics news on Phys.org