Plancherel's Identity proof - justifying order of integration?

In summary, the conversation discusses the inclusion of a proof of Plancherel's identity into a dissertation, specifically the justification for changing the integration in a certain line. The issue is whether the integral of the Fourier transform of f(x) is bounded in L^1, and whether this can be used to prove the identity. Some texts swap the integration without explanation, while others use the convolution theorem. The speaker acknowledges they may have gaps in their knowledge about function spaces.
GregA
SOLVED

With the assumption [tex]f(x)\in L^1(\mathbb{R})\cap L^2(\mathbb{R})[/tex] (in a Lebesque sense) I'm trying to include a short proof of Plancherel's identity into my dissertation but am having trouble justifying the change of integration at the end of the following line:

[tex]
\int_{\mathbb{R}}|f(x)|^2\, \mathrm{d}x
=\int_{\mathbb{R}}f(x)\overline{f(x)}\mathrm{d}x=\int_{\mathbb{R}}f(x)\left [\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{\mathbb{R}}\overline{{\hat{f}(\xi)e^{ix\xi}}}\mathrm{d}\xi\right ]\mathrm{d}x
[/tex]

I am aware of Fubini's theorem but my problem is that I can't see why the integral of [itex]\left |\hat{f}(\xi)\right |[/itex] is necessarily bounded in [tex]L^1[/tex] so that I can use it. [EDIT] Am I allowed to say that since I know [tex]f(x)\in L^2[/tex] then the equalitities give that [itex]\int f(\xi)\mathrm\,{d}\xi[/itex] is bounded?

A number of texts just swap [tex]\mathrm{d}x[/tex] and [tex]\mathrm{d}\xi[/tex] without worrying this, whilst others just give a hand wavy argument that it all works out ok.

I know that it can be proved using the convolution theorem but the argument is longer. Am I missing something obvious or would anybody be able to point me in the right direction for resolving this problem? (and I acknowledge I have gaps in my knowledge about function spaces etc...)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If f(x) is in L1, its Fourier transform is bounded.

1. What is Plancherel's Identity and why is it important in mathematics?

Plancherel's Identity is a mathematical theorem that relates the integral of a function to the integral of its Fourier transform. It is important because it allows for the conversion between a function in the time domain and its corresponding function in the frequency domain.

2. What does it mean to justify the order of integration in Plancherel's Identity proof?

Justifying the order of integration means to prove that the order in which the integrals are performed in Plancherel's Identity is valid and will result in the correct solution. This involves carefully examining the integrand and determining the appropriate order of integration to obtain the desired result.

3. How is the order of integration determined in Plancherel's Identity proof?

The order of integration is determined by analyzing the integrand and identifying which variables are independent and which are dependent. The integrals are then performed in the order of the dependent variables, with the innermost integral being performed first.

4. Can Plancherel's Identity be applied to any function?

No, Plancherel's Identity can only be applied to functions that satisfy certain conditions, such as being square integrable. This means that the integral of the function squared must be finite. If this condition is not met, Plancherel's Identity cannot be applied.

5. Why is it necessary to justify the order of integration in Plancherel's Identity proof?

Justifying the order of integration ensures that the result obtained using Plancherel's Identity is accurate and valid. It also helps to avoid mathematical errors and ensures that the proof follows a logical and rigorous approach. Without justifying the order of integration, the proof may be incorrect or incomplete.