1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planck's constant in planetary orbits

1. Sep 28, 2015 #1
    The question is:
    If quantum mechanics were detectable in planetary orbits, how much larger than the currently accepted value would Plancks constant need to be?

Relevant equations

ΔxΔpx ≥ħ/2
    p=mv

Earth-Sun dist 1.496E11
    Earth orbit speed 28,900ms^-1
    Earth mass 5.972E24 kg

The attempt at a solution

Δx=1.496E11
    Δpx = 28,900ms^-1*5.972E24 kg

h= 4π Δx Δpx
    h≈3.38E41 Js

I'm not sure I've I've gone about this question correctly, it's worth a considerable amount of marks so am unsure if it's a suitable solution.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

How are you defining Δp and Δx?

4. Sep 28, 2015 #3
    Defining Δx as the Earth Sun distance and Δp as the momentum of the Earth (mv), I wasn't sure how to do it any other way with the information given ?

5. Sep 28, 2015 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... and, how are those quantities defined and used in the expression describing the uncertainty principle?

6. Oct 1, 2015 #5
    So oddly enough I have almost the same question, except ours is a bit less precise in the values of the Earth-Sun distance etc.

So I was taking the approach that:

Δp=p1-p2
    Hence

Δp=m1v1-m2v2

One would assume m is constant and so m1=m2, while v is an average and there are minor fluctuations. Thus we have:

p1-p2=m(v1-v2)​

when you take the differential of that, m being a constant disappears so we get Δp=Δv

Similar treatment with Δx leads to:

Δx=Δd
    where d=Earth-Sun Distance

From there you would solve the inequality for ħ then use ħ=h/2π

However I'm concerned I've been thinking about the Δ meaning wrong and hence come to the wrong conclusion, however in my problems last week with the uncertainty principle my demonstrator indicated I can't just assume Δp=p for whatever I'm doing, but I'm realizing now I'm a little fuzzy on the reasoning.

Am I on the right track here?

edit:

I've realized I've had brain fart (not actually had to do any calculus since first year >.> ) and the m doesn't magically disappear, so Δp DOES equal p in this case, since it would be mΔv, and here Δv=v, I think.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  7. Oct 1, 2015 #6
    Having subbed in all the values I get the same answer as QuantumBlink is greater than h, so...

for quantum effects to be detectable (i.e. effects due to the uncertainty principle), h should be strictly greater than 3.38x10^41, I think?

So in general Planck's constant would need to be 75 orders of magnitude larger.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted