1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plane falling from air, mechanical physics, need push in right direction

1. Mar 16, 2010 #1

That is the problem that I am trying to solve. It is simply a practice question but I want to make sure that I am doing things right and that I am prepared. I understand the concept of this problem and have modeled the problem on paper with triangles. I just don't understand where to get started. I am sorry if this is vague, but even the smallest hint will probably help because I have done this work before two years ago in high school, but I am at university now with a mediocre lecturer and unfortunately some of the material isn't clicking like it should.

Thanks for any replies!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2010 #2

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

It may help to make a diagram with all the known forces acting on the CG of the plane and to consider what happens when the plane is in steady (non-accelerated) flight.

The problem text seems to introduce one or more simplifications over the usual definitions in aerodynamics, so be careful if you refer to a textbook in aerodynamics.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook