Plane falling from air, mechanical physics, need push in right direction

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem that the speaker is trying to solve related to aerodynamics. They have a basic understanding of the concept but are struggling with where to start. The other person suggests creating a diagram and considering steady flight to help with the problem. The speaker also mentions a potential issue with the problem's definition.
http://i39.tinypic.com/2qvfrya.jpg

That is the problem that I am trying to solve. It is simply a practice question but I want to make sure that I am doing things right and that I am prepared. I understand the concept of this problem and have modeled the problem on paper with triangles. I just don't understand where to get started. I am sorry if this is vague, but even the smallest hint will probably help because I have done this work before two years ago in high school, but I am at university now with a mediocre lecturer and unfortunately some of the material isn't clicking like it should.

Thanks for any replies!

Physics news on Phys.org
It may help to make a diagram with all the known forces acting on the CG of the plane and to consider what happens when the plane is in steady (non-accelerated) flight.

The problem text seems to introduce one or more simplifications over the usual definitions in aerodynamics, so be careful if you refer to a textbook in aerodynamics.

What causes a plane to fall from the air?

A plane can fall from the air due to a variety of reasons, including mechanical failures, weather conditions, and human error. It could also be caused by a lack of lift, which is the force that keeps the plane in the air. If the lift is not greater than the weight of the plane, it will start to descend.

What role does mechanical physics play in a plane falling from the air?

Mechanical physics is crucial in understanding how a plane stays in the air and what factors can cause it to fall. This field of physics deals with the motion, forces, and energy involved in mechanical systems, such as airplanes. It helps us understand the principles of flight and how different components of a plane work together to keep it flying.

Can a plane fall from the air without any external force?

No, a plane cannot fall from the air without some external force acting upon it. This could be a mechanical failure, such as an engine stopping, or a change in the aerodynamics of the plane due to weather conditions. In order for a plane to continue flying, there must be a balance of forces acting upon it.

Do pilots need to push the plane in a certain direction to prevent it from falling?

No, pilots do not need to physically push the plane in a certain direction to prevent it from falling. Instead, they use the control surfaces of the plane, such as the ailerons, elevator, and rudder, to maneuver the plane and maintain its stability. These controls allow the pilot to adjust the lift and balance of the plane to keep it in the air.

How can we prevent a plane from falling from the air due to mechanical failures?

There are various safety measures in place to prevent mechanical failures from causing a plane to fall from the air. This includes regular maintenance and inspections of the plane, strict safety protocols for pilots and crew, and advanced technology for early detection of any potential issues. In addition, pilots are trained to handle emergency situations and can safely land a plane even if a mechanical failure occurs.

Suggested for: Plane falling from air, mechanical physics, need push in right direction

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back