1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plane flying at an angle, trying to find radius

1. Oct 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    To change the direction of the plane, its wings are banked. If the wings of the plane are banked 50.0° to the horizontal, what is the radius of the circle in which the plane will be flying? Assume that the speed remains 480.0 km/h during the turn and that the magnitude of the lift provided by the wings is unchanged.

2. Relevant equations
    m = 13900kg (given previous to this problem) but I do not think this comes into play

3. The attempt at a solution
    I said that the forceof the lift = L. the sum of forces in the y direction = Lcos50 = mg. The sum of forces in the x direction = Lsin50 = (mv^2)/r. Solving both equations for L and then setting these expressions equal to each other, I eventually came to r = (v^2)/gtan50, giving me an answer of 19,707km. The computer keeps telling me I am incorrect.

Any help would be appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Be careful with units. That speed is given in km/hour--convert to standard units.

4. Oct 17, 2008 #3
    still wrong

5. Oct 17, 2008 #4
    that gave me an answer of 1521m, which seems kind of small anyway

6. Oct 17, 2008 #5

Doc Al

Looks right to me.

7. Oct 17, 2008 #6
    so do you think that it could possibly be an error with the computer? I can't see any mistake I have made.

8. Oct 17, 2008 #7

Doc Al

It wouldn't surprise me, as those systems can be fussy. What units does it want? How many significant figures?

9. Oct 17, 2008 #8
    It does no specify what units it wants, or how many significant figures. I have tried many combinations of both.

10. Oct 18, 2008 #9

Doc Al

Oops. I missed the implication of this:
    So the following is incorrect:
    This (the last sentence) is not true. Once the plane banks there is no longer vertical equilibrium.

My bad! :redface:

Your bad: Please post the entire problem.

(Thanks to alphysicist for waking me up! :smile:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?