1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plane flying in a straight line

1. Dec 13, 2009 #1
    If an aircraft is flying in a straight line, are there no forces acting on it, or is there an upward force acting on it?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What do you think? (I assume you mean in a straight line with constant speed.)

What do Newton's laws tell you?

4. Dec 13, 2009 #3
    Hello, thank you for the reply.

I'm only 11 years old, but I want to be a pilot when I'm older so I'm trying to learn what I can about aerodynamics and I came across this question, please go easy on me :redface:

I think from what I've read, that there is equal lift and equal weight, so there is no resultant force, but the question asks "are there any forces acting on the plane?" so I'm just a bit confused about what to answer, thank you for your time.

5. Dec 13, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I think you've got it: The key is that since the plane is moving in a straight line at constant speed there is no net force on it. But there are certainly forces acting on it. Weight and lift are two of them.

Welcome to PF, by the way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook