1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plane wave in cartesian coordinates

1. Jan 31, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Provide an expression in Cartesian coordinates for a plane wave of amplitude 1 [V/m] and wavelength 700 nm propagating in u = cosθx + sinθy direction, where x and y are unit vectors along the x and y axis and θ is the measured angle from the x axis.

2. Relevant equations

ψ{x,y,z,t) = Aei(kx+ky+kz ± ωt)
    k = 2π/λ
    3. The attempt at a solution
    im not finding many good examples on this but using the plug and chug method i came up with

ψ = Aei(.008(cosθ +sinθ) -ωt)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Notice how there is no space variation in your wave?

The general expression you want is: $$\psi(\vec r) = Ae^{i(\vec k\cdot\vec r \pm \omega t)}$$ ... for Cartesian coordinates, ##\vec r = (x,y,z)## and ##\vec k = (k_x,k_y,k_z)##.

4. Jan 31, 2016 #3
    i dont see the difference in what i posted and what you posted. you posted the dot product of the propagation vector and the unit vector. isnt that i what i did?

5. Jan 31, 2016 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Maybe I missed it? You wrote:
    ##\psi = Ae^{i(.008(\cos\theta +\sin\theta) -\omega t)}##
    Where is the x-y-z dependence? If you had done the dot product, wouldn't there be one?

Please write out what you got for the wave-vector ##\vec k##

6. Jan 31, 2016 #5
    thats where my mistake is. im not sure what my k vector should be. im looking through the text right now trying to figure it out.

7. Jan 31, 2016 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your wave vector should have magnitude ##2\pi/\lambda## and should point in the direction of propagation.

8. Jan 31, 2016 #7
    i did that. thats the .008 in my solution. 2pi/700

9. Jan 31, 2016 #8

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

0.008 is the magnitude (in nm-1) - what about the direction?

10. Jan 31, 2016 #9
    well if there is no z component then its headed in the x,y direction. isnt that what the initial u tells me?

11. Jan 31, 2016 #10
    should there be an x and a y in front of the cos and sin, respectively.

12. Jan 31, 2016 #11

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's right - the direction is the same as the direction of ##\vec u## ... since ##|\vec u|=1## you can write: ##\vec k = (2\pi / \lambda )\vec u## ...
    Since ##\vec u = (\cos\theta, \sin\theta, 0)## you can write: ##\vec k = \frac{2\pi}{\lambda}(\cos\theta, \sin\theta, 0)##

##\vec k\cdot\vec r = \frac{2\pi}{\lambda}(\cos\theta, \sin\theta, 0)\cdot (x,y,z) = \cdots## ... carry out the dot product.

13. Jan 31, 2016 #12
    ahh ok. what i did was (cosθx, sinθy) ⋅ (x,y)

so my x and y turned to 1's.

thank you!!!

14. Jan 31, 2016 #13

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ah - then there was a notation mixup:
    If we define x = (1,0,0) etc, then r = xx + yy + zz while u = cosθ x + sinθ y and the dot product proceeds correctly.
    You may be used to using i-j-k for unit vectors but you can see why you don't want to do that here.

[If you were thinking that x = (x,0,0) then that's a different kind of mixup and r = x + y + z ]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted