Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plane with dead pilot lands safely in Newark, NJ

1. Jun 18, 2009 #1

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Airline spokeswoman Kelly Cripe says the pilot died of natural causes Thursday on the flight from Brussels, Belgium, to Newark."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090618/ap_on_re_us/us_pilot_dies [Broken]

I wonder whether this was announced to the passengers?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2009 #2
    They weren't told.

4. Jun 18, 2009 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just a brief whine - it really annoys pilots (or at least first officers) to be called co-pilots!
    There are two pilots on any passenger aircraft with more than 16(?) seats.
    They are both fully qualified to fly the plane and both do fly on each trip.
    The one in the left seat is called the captain and the one in the right seat* is the first officer. The captain has merely been with the company for longer - he may have less flying time on that particular type or even less overall experience than the first officer.

* - the order is because of the side a cavalry soldier carries his sword!

5. Jun 18, 2009 #4
    No, just read the article

6. Jun 18, 2009 #5
    I guess it was just blind luck that one of the co-pilots knew how to land the plane.

7. Jun 18, 2009 #6

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I had, but it was a shorter version (< 10 sentences) and did not mention anything significant other than "natural causes" and "safely landed by co-pilot."

I wonder whether the no announcement decision was by policy or discretion?

BTW, the "co-pilot" has been promoted to "relief pilot."

8. Jun 18, 2009 #7

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So true. Most co-pilots are only qualified in making sure the pilot doesn't fall asleep although not trained into making sure the pilot doesn't die. I think they should includedthat in the training.

9. Jun 18, 2009 #8
    I don't mind being a co-PF member.

10. Jun 18, 2009 #9
    I wonder if an abcissa minds being called a co-ordinate.

11. Jun 29, 2009 #10

turbo

Gold Member

Shouldn't the title of the thread have been "Plane with two live pilots lands safely in Newark, NJ?" Kinda takes the "gee whiz" element out of play...

12. Jun 29, 2009 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, when this story came out, I didn't really know why it was a story at all. It's not like the flight was landed by a stewardess or passenger. There were still two qualified pilots on board who took over. There was never any danger to the passengers, and people do have a tendency to die eventually, and sometimes that's going to be on an overseas flight. I thought it was a bigger deal when I was on an overseas flight and over half of the flight crew came down with food poisoning about halfway. The remaining crew, who didn't eat at the same restaurant as the others the night before, had to juggle responsibilities between servicing all the cabins and helping tend to the sick crew members who were lying down in the back of the plane and had claimed all of the aft lavatories (not that I think anyone would have really wanted to use them after they had). You know something bad is happening on a flight when more than one medical doctor is summoned mid-flight. Of course, we had to be told what was going on, partly so we'd know to avoid the aft lavatories, and partly because they only assumed it was food poisoning during the flight because everyone sick had eaten together, but had to let the passengers know to report to the airline if they came down with similar symptoms in the next week, in case it was something else contagious.

13. Jun 29, 2009 #12

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The famous BBC headline "Small earthquake in Peru -- not many injured".
    They try and avoid sensationalist reporting - looks like they succeeded.

14. Jun 29, 2009 #13

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I saw a movie where that happened. "Man, that honkey mus' be messin' my old lady got to be runnin' col' upsihd down his head!"

15. Jun 29, 2009 #14

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A hospital - what is it?
    A large building with patients, but that's not important right now!

Classic.

16. Jun 29, 2009 #15
    If you read the article they said that both copilots on these long flights are qualified to land individually. So they have 3 people who are all individually qualified to land the plane if the other 2 die...

17. Jun 29, 2009 #16

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Except on Airbus where the flight engineer has been replaced by a dog. The dog's job is to bite the pilot if he touches the controls and the pilot's job is to feed the dog.

18. Jun 29, 2009 #17
    Chuckle... :smile:

19. Jun 29, 2009 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess mgb_phys isn't the only one who needs an irony/sarcasm alert in his signature line. :rolleyes: :tongue:

20. Jun 29, 2009 #19
    Communicating usually works better with me if you just think of me as an unusually talkative computer...

21. Jun 29, 2009 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Check!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook