Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Passenger lands plane after pilot dies in mid-air

1. Apr 13, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-lands-plane-after-pilot-dies-in-mid-air.html

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2009 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Oh good grief, he has a pilot's license! Not exactly an untrained "passenger".

4. Apr 13, 2009 #3
    Do I kill the throttle? What a stupid question for a pilot to ask.

5. Apr 13, 2009 #4

russ_watters

Sounds like he shouldn't have a pilot's license....

6. Apr 13, 2009 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it's fair to say that he didn't feel qualified to land the plane.

Evo, how could I possibly pass on that title? :biggrin:

7. Apr 13, 2009 #6

turbo

Gold Member

OMG! This plane has too many engines! What do I do?

8. Apr 13, 2009 #7

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you do?? You fly it by hand Mr. White(as-a-sheet)!

9. Apr 13, 2009 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Heck, according to my flight simulator, I can land a 747 at our local private airport. No big deal.

10. Apr 13, 2009 #9
    how did they realize the pilot died when the plane went on auto-pilot?

11. Apr 13, 2009 #10

Evo

:rofl:

Did you know that in the 90's, a flight simulator was hidden in excel as an easter egg?

Just another tidbit of useless knowledge.

12. Apr 13, 2009 #11

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I played that simulator. It was Excel 97 I think. You flew around this boring moonscape until you came across this low-angle screen that scrolled the names of all the developers. It wasn't exactly enough to learn how to actually fly.

13. Apr 13, 2009 #12

Danger

Gold Member

I agree that this sounds a bit weird. My only official training was on 150's, 152's and 172's, but I know damned well that I could handle a King Air. In any normal circumstances, there's no difference between the procedures. Just use the trottle, mixture and pitch controls symmetrically and it's fine. The necessity for a twin rating is primarily in the event of an engine failure, which results in asymmetrical thrust. In fact, the Mixmaster (Cessna Skymaster) doesn't require that rating because it's a centreline-thrust twin; one puller and one pusher prop on the same axis.
    All of the basic flight and landing procedures are the same, until you get into jet territory or taildraggers.

14. Apr 13, 2009 #13
    Technically, a king air is a jet since it has turbo props.

15. Apr 13, 2009 #14

Danger

Gold Member

True, Cyrus, but the flight procedures are still more in line with a piston craft than something like a Lear Jet. For someone as close to an airport as this bloke was, things like temperature constaints, inlet pressure, etc. don't really become critical. Your rpm's can be way off, and still get you back to the runway.

edit: I'm going by the phrase 'just enjoyed a smooth takeoff' from the article. That implies to me that they weren't more than a couple of minutes out. That might be in error.

16. Apr 13, 2009 #15
    The only thing he has to be careful about is shutting the engines down so that he doesnt totally destroy them and melt the compressor blades. If he was able to land it safely, he shouldn't just kill them - at least I don't think so. I don't fly turboprop so I don't know the exact procedures. Melting the blades would be a several million dollar oops.

17. Apr 13, 2009 #16

Danger

Gold Member

Roger that. As a passenger, though, I'd just be concerned with getting the thing down and stopped in one piece and not give a damn as to whether or not the engines survived. Anything within glide distance of a flat surface is good enough.

18. Apr 13, 2009 #17

russ_watters

Just do what you do if it had one: throttle one engine and leave the other one alone!

19. Apr 14, 2009 #18

turbo

Gold Member

Despite the lack of a smilie, I'm sure you're joking. I have never been inside a King Air, but having ridden in a lot of other twin-engine turboprops, I have to assume KA's throttles are paired and can be and should be, adjusted in unison.

20. Apr 14, 2009 #19
    ............uh, yeah. It was a joke. :uhh:

21. Apr 14, 2009 #20

Danger

Gold Member

You never know. Maybe Russ is used to flying Frisbees. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook