Planes of motion for the elbow and shoulder

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the number of planes of movement in the shoulder joint. One person believes it is three planes, while the marking scheme says two. Another person suggests that the rotation of the shoulder does not necessarily add an additional plane of movement. The conversation ends with the clarification that the shoulder joint is like an analog stick with two axes and rotation not being considered an axis.
lioric
1. Homework Statement
IMG_0597.PNG

This is an olevel question from paper 5090 may/june 2012 paper 12 question number 24 (the snapshot is from another question paper) the answer in the marking scheme is A which clearly I cannot understand. I thought shoulder joints have 3 planes of movement

Homework Equations

No equations theory question

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that the shoulder is a ball and socket joint which has 3 planes of movement
I don't get why the marking scheme says A

Attachments

• IMG_0597.PNG
    IMG_0597.PNG
    10.9 KB · Views: 1,494
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Planes of movement" seems a bit ambiguous.
I would describe it as degrees of freedom.
The shoulder has two degrees of freedom. It is able to move a point on the upper arm along a two-dimensional surface - in particular, along a section of the surface of a sphere.

.Scott said:
"Planes of movement" seems a bit ambiguous.
I would describe it as degrees of freedom.
The shoulder has two degrees of freedom. It is able to move a point on the upper arm along a two-dimensional surface - in particular, along a section of the surface of a sphere.

But wouldn't this be more appropriate
Flexible and extension occur in sagittal plane, adduction and abduction occur in medio-lateral axis, medial rotation and lateral rotation occur in transverse axis. So, shoulder joint is a triaxial joint and there are three planes of movement

lioric said:
But wouldn't this be more appropriate
Flexible and extension occur in sagittal plane, adduction and abduction occur in medio-lateral axis, medial rotation and lateral rotation occur in transverse axis. So, shoulder joint is a triaxial joint and there are three planes of movement

Also look at the examines report for biology 5090 oct nov 2012 paper 3

IMG_0598.JPG

It says that shoulder has 3 planes of movement
Now I'm confused

Attachments

• IMG_0598.JPG
    IMG_0598.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 775
I am not sure about your sources and, like @.Scott answer exemplifies, you need to consider previously defined terms.

As presented you are correct - 3 planes - x, y, and z. Period. There is no other answer unless the definitions given differ. Or the base question makes assumptions I cannot see.

Studying old exams is NOT always a short cut to success. If this was on a standardized exam, it had a fixed set of expected and required sources - textbooks or whatever course material (or syllabus ). So, if you do not know or cannot know the prerequisites, then poring every every detail in every answer is going to cause confusion. You are confused, right?

jim mcnamara said:
I am not sure about your sources and, like @.Scott answer exemplifies, you need to consider previously defined terms.

As presented you are correct - 3 planes - x, y, and z. Period. There is no other answer unless the definitions given differ. Or the base question makes assumptions I cannot see.

Studying old exams is NOT always a short cut to success. If this was on a standardized exam, it had a fixed set of expected and required sources - textbooks or whatever course material (or syllabus ). So, if you do not know or cannot know the prerequisites, then poring every every detail in every answer is going to cause confusion. You are confused, right?

I'm confused because I know it's 3 planes but the answer says two
I know my syllabus and the theory
But when a standardized test paper say something different I became confused.
Btw this is not to study for an exam but a question a student brought to me because of the conflict due to the answers of the paper

I just wanted to know if either of you guys saw something in the question that I did not see.
I'm happy to see that I'm on the same page as you guys
Thank you

lioric said:
1. Homework Statement
View attachment 227151

This is an olevel question from paper 5090 may/june 2012 paper 12 question number 24 (the snapshot is from another question paper) the answer in the marking scheme is A which clearly I cannot understand. I thought shoulder joints have 3 planes of movement

Homework Equations

No equations theory question

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that the shoulder is a ball and socket joint which has 3 planes of movement
I don't get why the marking scheme says A
I don't know whether my knowledge would be enough to answer this question
But, logically speaking I have drawn the possible plane of motion(don't know whether I have missed anything) for the shoulder and the elbow.
The shoulder is movement is restricted to 2 planes and I think the ability of our shoulders to rotate does not necessarily add another additional plane of motion since it rotates itself on the same plane.
I really don't know if that makes any sense.
1529648328133.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Physics Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1529648328133.jpg
    1529648328133.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 959
Likes lioric
jishnu said:
I don't know whether my knowledge would be enough to answer this question
But, logically speaking I have drawn the possible plane of motion(don't know whether I have missed anything) for the shoulder and the elbow.
The shoulder is movement is restricted to 2 planes and I think the ability of our shoulders to rotate does not necessarily add another additional plane of motion since it rotates itself on the same plane.
I really don't know if that makes any sense. View attachment 227182

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Physics Forums mobile app
So I guess it's like the analog stick in the joypad
It is a ball and socket joint and the analog stick has x-axis and y-axis but the rotation is not an axis
Thank you very much

lioric said:
So I guess it's like the analog stick in the joypad
It is a ball and socket joint and the analog stick has x-axis and y-axis but the rotation is not an axis
Thank you very much
My pleasure, hope that helps you[emoji4]

1. What are the planes of motion for the elbow and shoulder?

The planes of motion for the elbow and shoulder are the sagittal, frontal, and transverse planes. The sagittal plane divides the body into left and right halves, the frontal plane divides the body into front and back halves, and the transverse plane divides the body into top and bottom halves.

2. What movements occur in the sagittal plane for the elbow and shoulder?

In the sagittal plane, the elbow and shoulder can perform flexion and extension movements. Flexion is the bending of the joint, while extension is the straightening of the joint.

3. What movements occur in the frontal plane for the elbow and shoulder?

In the frontal plane, the elbow and shoulder can perform abduction and adduction movements. Abduction is the movement away from the body's midline, while adduction is the movement towards the body's midline.

4. What movements occur in the transverse plane for the elbow and shoulder?

In the transverse plane, the elbow and shoulder can perform internal and external rotation movements. Internal rotation is the movement towards the body's midline, while external rotation is the movement away from the body's midline.

5. Why is understanding the planes of motion for the elbow and shoulder important?

Understanding the planes of motion for the elbow and shoulder is important for injury prevention and rehabilitation. It allows for targeted exercises and movements to strengthen and improve the range of motion in these joints. It also helps to identify any imbalances or limitations in movement that may lead to injury.