1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planetary and atomic systems in N dimensions

1. Nov 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that a human head is a sphere with the bone thickness 10% of the radius of the
    head. Find the fraction of the volume of the head occupied by the brain. Make a similar estimate (forget about factors of pi) in the N-dimensional space (d = N) in the limit N -> infinity.

For the existence of life of our type we must have atomic and planetary systems. Do stable atomic and planetary systems exist for d > 3? We also need to have free particles like electrons moving far away from atoms (for conductivity, and to have ions). Can we have them for d < 3?

3. The attempt at a solution

finding fraction of volume is simple but I don't know how you'd go about making an estimate in the N-dimensional space. would it just be r^N instead of r^3 in the volume?

For the second part, i'm not even sure what the question is trying to get at. I was thinking maybe Gauss law could be used to say that the field of charge is inversely proportional to the area of N-1 dimensional sphere surrounding it. Still that doesn't take me anywhere...any suggestions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Nov 28, 2007 #3
    1 dimention: a line [tex]x[/tex]
    2 dimensions: a square [tex]x^2[/tex]
    3 dimensions: a cube [tex]x^3[/tex]
    N dimentions: ? [tex]x^N[/tex]
  5. Nov 28, 2007 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?