1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planning Lab to measure how emf varies with an angle

1. Mar 9, 2008 #1

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

A metal disc is placed in a uniform magnetic field of flux density,B,acting through the plane of the disc at and angle,[itex]\theta[/itex].When the dis is rotated an e.m.f. is induced between the centre and the rim of the disc.

http://img158.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scanlc2.jpg

Design an experiment to investigate how the induced e.m.f.,E, depends upon [itex]\theta[/itex]

ok, since I am I need to measure E and [itex]\theta[/itex], I need to keep the rest constant.
    [itex]\omega[/itex] would be kept constant by using a motor with a constant power output to rotate the disc.

To keep B constant, use a solenoid and the field should be uniform through the centre of it. (Not sure about that)
    But I do not know how to go about measuring the angle.[itex]\theta[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2008 #2

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"To keep B constant, use a solenoid and the field should be uniform through the centre of it. (Not sure about that)"

You would need a very large solenoid since you want B to be constant over the whole surface area of the disk. i.e A large pole-face.

"But I do not know how to go about measuring the angle..."

Just tip the magnet at a know fixed angle relative to the disk surface. Your choice.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  4. Mar 14, 2008 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

So take a protractor and just move the magnet relative to the protractor?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?