EMF between the rim and centre of the disc

In summary, The EMF induced in a copper disc of radius 10 cm rotating at 3.0 * 103 rev min-1 in a uniform magnetic field of 1.0 * 10-2 T with its plane perpendicular to the field can be calculated using the formula E = B L v, where B is the magnetic flux density, L is the length of the conductor, and v is the linear velocity. Since the linear velocity is not constant along the radius, calculus must be used to find the infinitesimal contribution of each part of the disc. The final answer is 16 mV.
moenste

Homework Statement

A copper disc of radius 10 cm is situated in a uniform field of magnetic flux density 1.0 * 10-2 T with its plane perpendicular to the field.

The disc is rotated about an axis through its centre parallel to the field at 3.0 * 103 rev min-1. Calculate the EMF between the rim and centre of the disc.

Answer: 16 mV.

2. The attempt at a solution
Attempt 1

E = B A N ω, where ω = 2 π / T, where T = 1 / f.

f = 103 rev min-1 / 60 = 16.7 rev s-1.

ω = 2 π / 16.7 = 104.9 rad s-1.

E = 10-2 * (0.1 * 0.1) * 104.9 = 0.01049 V.

Attempt 2
I also used another formula: E = f B π (r22 - r12) where r2 = radius of rim, r1 = radius of axle.

E = 16.7 * 10-2 * π * 0.12 = 5.2 * 10-3 V.

What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
moenste said:

Homework Statement

A copper disc of radius 10 cm is situated in a uniform field of magnetic flux density 1.0 * 10-2 T with its plane perpendicular to the field.

The disc is rotated about an axis through its centre parallel to the field at 3.0 * 103 rev min-1. Calculate the EMF between the rim and centre of the disc.

Answer: 16 mV.

2. The attempt at a solution
Attempt 1

E = B A N ω, where ω = 2 π / T, where T = 1 / f.

f = 103 rev min-1 / 60 = 16.7 rev s-1.

ω = 2 π / 16.7 = 104.9 rad s-1.

E = 10-2 * (0.1 * 0.1) * 104.9 = 0.01049 V.

Attempt 2
I also used another formula: E = f B π (r22 - r12) where r2 = radius of rim, r1 = radius of axle.

What am I missing?
Are you familiar with differential equations and integration?

Likes moenste
cnh1995 said:
Are you familiar with differential equations and integration?
Like x2 + 3 x + 7 = 2 x + 3? How is it applied here?

moenste said:
Like x2 + 3 x + 7 = 2 x + 3? How is it applied here?
Not exactly. But first think about the physics behind this.
Assume any radius of the disc to be a wire. Erase the rest of the disc. Now you'll have a conductor of length r=10cm rotating about a point (center of the disk) in a magnetic field B. What is the emf induced in this wire? What is the formula for motional emf?
You can see that you can consider the disk as infinite number of such conductors. But the voltage induced in a single conductor will be same as the voltage between center and rim of the disk. All the points on the rim will be equipotential. So all you need to do is compute the voltage induced in the single conductor. What is the formula for motional emf when a conductor of length l is moving in a magnetic field B with velocity v?

Last edited:
Likes moenste
cnh1995 said:
Not exactly. But first think about the physics behind this.
Assume any radius of the disc to be a wire. Erase the rest of the disc. Now you'll have a conductor of length r=10cm rotating about a point (center of the disk) in a magnetic field B. What is the emf induced in this wire? What is the formula for motional emf?
You can see that you can consider the disk as infinite number of such conductors. But the voltage induced in a single conductor will be same as the voltage between center and rim of the disk. All the points on the rim will be equipotential. So all you need to do is compute the voltage induced in the single conductor. What is the formula for motional emf when a conductor of length l is moving in a magnetic field B with velocity v?
E = B L v?

moenste said:
E = B L v?
Right. Is v constant along the length of the conductor (radius of the disk)?

Likes moenste
cnh1995 said:
Right. Is v constant along the length of the conductor (radius of the disk)?
Doesn't it depend on the problem? I mean if it says "the velocity is X" then it's constant.

Update:
E = B L v = B r f = 10-2 * 0.1 * 16.7 = 0.0167 V. That simple?

moenste said:
Doesn't it depend on the problem? I mean if it says "the velocity is X" then it's constant.
You have angular velocity. But you need linear velocity for emf. Is the linear velocity constant along the radius?

Likes moenste
cnh1995 said:
You have angular velocity. But you need linear velocity for emf. Is the linear velocity constant along the radius?
moenste said:
Update:
E = B L v = B r f = 10-2 * 0.1 * 16.7 = 0.0167 V. That simple?
Like this?

moenste said:
Like this?
No.
E=Blv where v is constant along the length of the conductor. Here, since the conductor is revolving, v is not constant along its length but is a function of its distance from the center of the disk. That's where calculus comes into picture.

Likes moenste
cnh1995 said:
No.
E=Blv where v is constant along the length of the conductor. Here, since the conductor is revolving, v is not constant along its length but is a function of its distance from the center of the disk. That's where calculus comes into picture.
We know radius and angular velocity. So we can find regular velocity: ω = v / r → v = ω r = 104.9 * 0.1 = 10.49 m s-1. Correct?

moenste said:
We know radius and angular velocity. So we can find regular velocity: ω = v / r → v = ω r = 104.9 * 0.1 = 10.49 m s-1. Correct?
That is the linear velocity at the rim.
You need to consider all the linear velocities along the radius. Consider an infinitesimally small length of the wire of length 'dr' at a distance r from the center of the disk. What is the emf induced in that infinitesimal portion of the wire?

Likes moenste
cnh1995 said:
That is the linear velocity at the rim.
At the edge of the disc?

cnh1995 said:
You need to take all the linear velocities along the radius. Consider an infinitesimally small length of the wire of length 'dr' at a distance r from the center of the disk. What is the emf induced in that portion of the wire?
Don't know how to find it. I only have this formula in my book that has radius in it: E = f B π (r22 - r12) where r2 = radius of rim, r1 = radius of axle.

moenste said:
At the edge of the disc?
Yes.
moenste said:
Don't know how to find it.
What is the linear velocity of an infinitesimal element of the wire of length 'dr' at a distance r from the center? You know ω is constant throughout.

Likes moenste
cnh1995 said:
What is the linear velocity of an infinitesimal element of the wire of length 'dr' at a distance r from the center?
v = ?
Lwire = dr
r = ?

I don't see any relationship.

Maybe a = v2 / r → v = √v r?

moenste said:
Lwire = dr
Good.
Since the length of the wire is infinitesimally small, you can treat it as a point (dr→0). So, what is the linear velocity of the infinitesimal length element at a distance r from the center of the disk? How will you express v as a function of its distance 'r' from the center? Hint: Angular velocity is constant along the length.

Likes moenste
cnh1995 said:
Good.
Since the length of the wire is infinitesimally small, you can treat it as a point (dr→0). So, what is the linear velocity of the infinitesimal length element at a distance r from the center of the disk? How will you express v as a function of its distance 'r' from the center? Hint: Angular velocity is constant along the length.
v = ?
L = dr = 0
Isn't L = r? Isn't the length equal to radius?

v = ω r = 0?

moenste said:
v = ?
L = dr = 0
Isn't L = r? Isn't the length equal to radius?

v = ω r = 0?
v=rω , dr→0 but dr≠0. This is one of the basic concepts in calculus. Look up 'limit of a function'.
So, you have velocity of the length element v=r*ω and length of the element=dr. What is the emf induced in this infinitesimal length element?

Last edited:
Likes moenste
cnh1995 said:
v=rω , dr→0 but dr≠0. This is one of the basic concepts in calculus. Look up 'limit of a function'.
So, you have velocity of the length element v=r*ω and length of the element=dr. What is the emf induced in this infinitesimal length element?
E = B L v and since dr tends to zero but doesn't approaches it, therefore E also tends to zero?

another approach is to use induced emf = rate of change of flux linkage = area swept out per second x B
Area swept out by a radius of 0.1m = π x 0.12... 50 rotations per second and B= 1 x 10-2...can you complete this calculation?

In your original post I think you have mis- read the revs...3 x 1000 not 1000

Likes moenste, haruspex and cnh1995
lychette said:
another approach is to use induced emf = rate of change of flux linkage = area swept out per second x B
Area swept out by a radius of 0.1m = π x 0.12... 50 rotations per second and B= 1 x 10-2...can you complete this calculation?

That would be a very easy way to do it.:smile: And @moenste, I am sure that's what you are expected to use. Since you have not studied calculus yet, I believe you should drop my method and go with this. Needless to say it gives the same result.Good luck!

Last edited:
Likes moenste
lychette said:

You mean my second attempt is correct? (Aside from my 1000 instead of 3000 mistake.)

moenste said:
Attempt 2

E = f B π r2 = [(3 * 103) / 60] * 10-2 * π * 0.12 = 0.0157 V or 16 mV.

moenste said:
E = f B π r2 = [(3 * 103) / 60] * 10-2 * π * 0.12 = 0.0157 V or 16 mV.
Right.
You can use calculus method in this way:
Velocity of the length element 'dr' at a distance r from the center=v(r)=r*ω.
So, infinitesimal emf induced in the length element
dE=B*dr*(rω)=Bωr*dr
Integrating this between r=0 to r=0.1 will give you the total emf induced along the radius.
E=∫Bωr*dr from r=0 to r=0.1
=B*ω*r2/2 from r=0 to r=0.1
=B*ω*0.12/2.
Put the values of B and ω, you'll get the same answer.

Likes moenste

What is EMF between the rim and centre of the disc?

EMF, or electromotive force, is the potential difference or voltage that exists between the rim and centre of a disc. It is a measurement of the energy that can be generated or transferred by an electric current.

How is EMF between the rim and centre of the disc measured?

EMF is typically measured in units of volts (V) using a voltmeter. The voltmeter is connected across the two points on the disc, with one probe touching the rim and the other touching the centre, to measure the potential difference between the two points.

What factors can affect the EMF between the rim and centre of the disc?

The EMF between the rim and centre of a disc can be affected by a variety of factors, including the material of the disc, the speed of rotation, the distance between the rim and centre, and the strength of the magnetic field present.

How does the EMF between the rim and centre of the disc relate to Faraday's law of induction?

The EMF between the rim and centre of a disc is a direct result of Faraday's law of induction, which states that a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a conductor. In this case, the rotating disc and the magnetic field create a changing flux, which results in an induced EMF between the rim and centre of the disc.

What are some practical applications of measuring EMF between the rim and centre of the disc?

The measurement of EMF between the rim and centre of a disc has various practical applications, including in generators and motors. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic induction and can be used to measure the speed of rotation of a disc or the strength of a magnetic field.