Could Plasma Be the Future of Re-Entry Heat Shield Technology?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using plasma as a heat shield for a re-entry vehicle. It is suggested that a perforated heat shield with a water vessel can be an effective solution for absorbing heat, and the use of plasma as a buffer between the vehicle and the atmosphere is also proposed. However, concerns are raised about generating and containing plasma, as well as its potential to cause damage. Other ideas, such as using a concave bottom or magnetized leading edge, are also discussed. The conversation references several companies and research projects that are exploring the use of plasma for aerodynamics and actuation.
sanman
Is it possible to use plasma as a heat shield for a re-entry vehicle?

We all know that plasma isn't very dense, but then neither is the thin upper atmosphere that causes re-entry heating in lieu of drag.

I'd read that a simple trick used by ICBM warhead engineers, was to simply have a perforated heat shield which was also a water vessel, so that re-entry heating would make the water boil forth, emerging the holes as steam, which would then protect the heat shield itself from the atmospheric friction. This seems like an elegantly simple solution.

But couldn't plasma also then do something similar, acting as a similar kind of buffer between the vehicle and the oncoming atmospheric gas molecules? Also, consider that a higher proportion of the upper atmosphere would be ionized anyway. This could permit the use of charge field interaction to ward off atmospheric heating.

I'm simply suggesting this as a lightweight solution against re-entry heating.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, I think there's a lot of problems with that. First off, how would you generate the plasma. Second, how would you contain the plasma. And third, plasma by nature is extremely hot and would probably do more damage than good.

The purpose of the water jacket is not use the steam itself as a barrier but to absorb heat by changing the phase of the water from liquid to vapor. Similar to the purpose of heat pipes except the water jacket isn't sealed obviously.

Plasma doesn't have to be hot, it can just be ionized. For instance, a plasma antenna isn't hot. It doesn't have to be contained either, it can just be generated around the bottom of the craft. It can be continuously generated, even as it is swept away by the flowstream around the craft.

Otherwise, I'm wondering if there might be a way to pattern the heat shield surface to generate lots of vortices against its surface, even in thin upper atmospheric conditions.
Those vortices would then consist of denser air which would buffer against the oncoming thin supersonic air, to insulate against atmospheric heating.

Usually we see space capsules as having a convex bottom, but I'm wondering what would happen if the craft had a concave bottom that curved upward/inward?

This sounds rather similar to an idea I had sometime ago. When a capsule enters the atmosphere, it generates plenty of plasma on its own. I was wondering if there was some way the leading edge or "belly" of such a vehicle could be magnetized. If a positive magnetic field were generated in the skin of the craft, this would repel the plasma created by the impact of that skin with the atmosphere. It seems that, with the plasma forced even a short distance away from the skin of the vehicle, heat transfer from the plasma to the skin would be greatly reduced.

I came across some company called Electrofluid Systems which is doing research into Plasma Aerodynamics (electroaerodynamics):

http://www.electrofluidsystems.com/18428/25201.html

The sidebar on the page features a whole lot of different projects.

Here's something else I found on "plasma actuators"

www.spacedaily.com/reports/AFRL_Proves_Feasibility_Of_Plasma_Actuators.html

http://www.engr.uky.edu/~jdjacob/fml/research/plasma/index.html

http://plasma.ece.utk.edu/~plasma/publi/Reno%202006.pdf

This stuff seems like the future way to fly.

This paper seems quite recent:

http://pdf.aiaa.org/jaPreview/JPP/2008/PVJA24413.pdf

Anybody know where to get the full copy, and can post it online?

Last edited by a moderator:

What is plasma and how can it act as a heat shield?

Plasma is the fourth state of matter, composed of ionized gas particles that are highly energetic and electrically charged. When plasma is created and controlled, it can be used to deflect and absorb heat, making it an effective heat shield.

What are the benefits of using plasma as a heat shield?

Plasma shields are lightweight, flexible, and can withstand extreme temperatures. They also have the ability to adapt to changing heat conditions, making them more versatile than traditional heat shields.

How is plasma generated for use as a heat shield?

Plasma can be generated in a variety of ways, such as using lasers, microwaves, or electric arcs. These methods ionize gas particles, creating a charged plasma cloud that can be directed and controlled.

What materials can plasma shields protect against?

Plasma shields have been shown to protect against a wide range of materials, including extreme heat from atmospheric entry, intense radiation from space, and even high-power lasers. They are also useful for protecting against chemical and biological agents.

What are the limitations of using plasma as a heat shield?

While plasma shields have many advantages, they also have some limitations. They require a power source to maintain the plasma, and the shield can only protect against heat within a certain range. Additionally, plasma shields are still in the early stages of development and may not yet be suitable for all applications.