Plasma colour in a sputtering chamber

In summary, using inductively-coupled plasma optical emission spectroscopy, one can analyze the elements and impurities present in a plasma. However, calibration with a standard and NIST is necessary for meaningful data. Other techniques for surface analysis include using a reactive sputtering process. In a normal magnetron sputtering process, the color of the plasma can indicate the type of film being formed, for example, green for Ti and light blue for TiO2. The amount of oxygen in the chamber can also affect the color and thus the type of film being formed.
teoporta
Hi everyone,
my question is: what information can someone get by just looking at the colour of a plasma?
I the elements inside the chambers, together with some(few) common impurities.

Using the common spontaneous emission formula i can guess what transition emitted light with a particular frequency, but i don't have any database to make that data meaningful...

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
teoporta said:
Hi everyone,
my question is: what information can someone get by just looking at the colour of a plasma?
I the elements inside the chambers, together with some(few) common impurities.

Using the common spontaneous emission formula i can guess what transition emitted light with a particular frequency, but i don't have any database to make that data meaningful...

thank you
Inductively-coupled plasma optical emission spectroscopy is a common method for analyzing elements in a material.

http://www.wfu.edu/chemistry/courses/jonesbt/334/icpreprint.pdf

One would need to calibrate one's system with a standard. One usually uses a standard obtained NIST.

There are other techniques for surface analysis:
http://www.chem.qmul.ac.uk/surfaces/scc/

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I'm not sure if you can make such analysis of the glow in a plasma used for sputtering.

In a reactive sputtering where the sputtered specie react with a gas that has been backfilled, you can tell the difference in the color between reactive and non-reactive, i.e. you detect a qualitative difference. However, whether you can make elemental analysis from the color, that I haven't seen done before.

Zz.

I see. Thank you for both your answers.
In my case it's normal magnetron sputtering.
Can a different amount of oxigen in the chamber change the colour of the plasma?
I'm sputtering using a Ti target:
If plasma is green it forms a Ti film, if it's light blue it forms TiO2 film...

1. What causes the plasma to change color in a sputtering chamber?

The color of the plasma in a sputtering chamber is determined by the types of gases and materials being used in the sputtering process. Different elements and compounds emit different colors when they are excited by the plasma, resulting in a variety of colors.

2. Can the color of the plasma indicate the quality of the sputtering process?

The color of the plasma alone cannot determine the quality of the sputtering process. It is important to monitor other factors such as the thickness and uniformity of the deposited film, as well as the rate of deposition, to ensure a high-quality sputtering process.

3. How does the color of the plasma affect the properties of the deposited film?

The color of the plasma does not directly affect the properties of the deposited film. However, different colors may indicate the presence of impurities or variations in the chemical composition of the film, which can affect its properties. It is important to maintain a consistent and stable plasma color to ensure consistent film properties.

4. Is there a way to control the color of the plasma in a sputtering chamber?

Yes, the color of the plasma can be controlled by adjusting the gas composition, pressure, and power settings in the sputtering chamber. Different combinations of these parameters can result in different plasma colors.

5. Can the color of the plasma be used to identify the elements present in the sputtering process?

In some cases, the color of the plasma can provide a general indication of the elements present in the sputtering process. However, a more accurate and reliable method would be to use techniques such as mass spectrometry or energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy to analyze the composition of the deposited film.