Plasma-Electrode Pockel Cell (PEPC)

• Thread starter SteveeGeorge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the Plasma-Electrode Pockel Cell (PEPC) is an optical switch used at the National Ignition Facility. It utilizes the Pockels effect, which is the change in refractive index of a medium in the presence of an electric field, to manipulate the polarization of light passing through a KDP crystal. This allows for precise control over the laser's output and is particularly useful for high-energy laser systems. The PEPC works by adjusting the electric field through plasma electrodes, making it a fast and efficient optical switch.
SteveeGeorge
Hi all,

I am trying to further my understanding of the Plasma-Electrode Pockel Cell, particularly used at the National Ignition facility. As I currently understand it, its used as an optical switch by rotating the polarization of light when it passes through a KDP crystal and plasma electrodes, but I don't fully understand how it works.

Could anyone shine some light on this for me?

-Steve

Engineering news on Phys.org
SteveeGeorge said:
Hi all,

I am trying to further my understanding of the Plasma-Electrode Pockel Cell, particularly used at the National Ignition facility. As I currently understand it, its used as an optical switch by rotating the polarization of light when it passes through a KDP crystal and plasma electrodes, but I don't fully understand how it works.

Could anyone shine some light on this for me?

-Steve
This apparently explains it with respect to its function at NIF.
https://lasers.llnl.gov/about/how-nif-works/seven-wonders/optical-switch

Some more details - http://www.lle.rochester.edu/media/publications/lle_review/documents/v107/107_01HighContrast.pdf

https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc626447/m2/1/high_res_d/113982.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pockels_effect

Likes SteveeGeorge

Hi Steve,

The Plasma-Electrode Pockel Cell (PEPC) is indeed used as an optical switch at the National Ignition Facility. It works by utilizing the Pockels effect, which is the change in the refractive index of a medium in the presence of an electric field. In the case of the PEPC, the medium is a KDP crystal and the electric field is created by plasma electrodes.

When the light passes through the KDP crystal, it experiences a change in its polarization due to the Pockels effect. The plasma electrodes can then be used to manipulate the electric field, and therefore the refractive index of the crystal, allowing for precise control over the polarization of the light passing through.

This allows the PEPC to act as a fast and efficient optical switch, as the polarization of the light can be rapidly changed by adjusting the electric field. This is particularly useful for high-energy laser systems, such as the one at the National Ignition Facility, where precise control over the laser's output is crucial.

I hope this helps to clarify how the PEPC works. Let me know if you have any other questions.

What is a Plasma-Electrode Pockel Cell (PEPC)?

A Plasma-Electrode Pockel Cell (PEPC) is an optical device used to control the polarization of light. It consists of a transparent crystal with an electrode on either end and a plasma chamber in the middle. By applying a voltage to the electrodes, the plasma can be manipulated to change the polarization of light passing through the crystal.

How does a PEPC work?

A PEPC works by using the electro-optic effect, which is the change in the refractive index of a material when an electric field is applied. In a PEPC, the plasma chamber allows for a high electric field to be applied to the crystal, causing a change in the refractive index. This change affects the polarization of light passing through the crystal, allowing for control over the light's polarization.

What are some applications of PEPCs?

PEPCs are commonly used in research labs for experiments involving polarized light, such as in spectroscopy and laser experiments. They are also used in telecommunications and optical communications for controlling and modulating light signals.

What are the advantages of using a PEPC?

One of the main advantages of using a PEPC is its ability to quickly and accurately control the polarization of light. It also has a wide range of controllability, allowing for precise manipulation of the polarization state. Additionally, PEPCs are compact and relatively simple to use, making them a convenient tool for researchers and engineers.

Are there any limitations to using a PEPC?

One limitation of PEPCs is their sensitivity to temperature changes. The plasma chamber can be affected by temperature fluctuations, causing variations in the electric field and resulting in changes to the polarization of light. Another limitation is their high voltage requirement, which can make them more expensive to operate compared to other polarization control devices.