Playability of a Homemade Musical Instrument

In summary, the individual is proposing a project to turn an electric guitar into an instrument made of four thick brass tubes and a carrying spacer, played with a sensor and no fret contacts. However, it is unlikely that this instrument would produce sensible tones as described. Suggestions are made to use ferromagnetic material for the tubes and to place the pickups under the tubes near where they vibrate the most. It is also noted that this instrument would only have four notes and would not be able to change pitch or be tuned. Alternatives, such as using a fretless bass guitar, are suggested.
Mustafa Umut

Homework Statement

I have a project in my mind. Removing the neck of the electric guitar , Removing thin steel guitar strings from my electric guitar and replacing them with 1/5 inch thick brass tubes. And than play like a guitar and amplifying with a sensor. There will be no fret contacts. Is this instrument could produce sensable tones ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attemp of the solution is to make extreme long life , cheap , no neck , no strings , no body but 4 thick brass tubes and a carrying spacer. Playing like a bass guitar and amp with an sensor.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't think so. At least not quite the way you described the setup.

But if you did experiment with something of that nature, make the tubes steel instead of brass (aluminum isn't good either). You'll want a ferromagnetic material for the vibrating part. (Electric guitar pickups work by detecting changes in the magnetic field by using a standing magnet wrapped with a coil. Brass or aluminum strings/tubes won't change the magnetic field very much.) And even then, I don't think the vibration of a thick tube will be enough to register much of a signal using the pickups, even if they were steel. (But maybe it would be enough if the tubes were thin. You might want to experiment.)

[Edit: Let me correct myself. It might actually work with thick tubes (I still suggest the ferromagnetic material though). But you'll want the pickups to be under the tubes, somewhere near where the the tubes vibrate back and forth a lot -- not too near where they are constrained by the bridge. That might work. :smile: In other words, use shorter, thick tubes, and mount them such that the middle of each tube is constrained and mounted, leaving each end to vibrate. Pickups should be underneath the tubes, somewhere near one of the ends of the tubes. You'd still only get 4 notes though.]

Also, from the way you describe things, you wouldn't be able to change the pitch of the notes. Each tube would have only a single note (and its natural harmonics). But you might be able to play it like xylophone, best case, one note per tube (although you might be able to change the tube's tone depending on where you hit the tube, perhaps). So for a four tube instrument, you'd have a total of 4 notes. But I wouldn't bet on it working too well. Oh, and you wouldn't be able to tune it either.

Last edited:
Although if just wanted to get rid of the "fret" sounds when sliding down the neck, there are already fretless bass (electric) guitars. One plays a fretless bass the same way one plays a fretted one, with the exception that that the "fret" hand (usually the left hand) has to be right on the money. There is little or no room for error. Popular bands such as Primus, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and others, often/usually/always use a fretless bass.

You can buy fretless basses already made, take an existing bass to a guitar repair shop and have a professional take off the frets and refinish the board, or take off the frets yourself.

I have an old bass guitar that I defretted myself. I carefully ripped off the frets with a pair of pliers. I didn't even bother refinishing the neck. The crevices where the frets were are still there, but one can't really even tell by the sound. It sounds pretty good. But be careful about doing such a thing. Once you rip off a fret, there's no going back.

Another thought, if you wanted to be able to change notes on a tube, is to make a sliding extension for the tubes. Something like a slide whistle (google it). That would allow for continuous frequency changes.

I would approach this project with curiosity and a desire to experiment and test the playability of this homemade musical instrument. It is important to consider the physical properties of the materials being used, such as the thickness and composition of the brass tubes, as well as the potential impact on sound production without fret contacts.

To determine the playability of this instrument, I would suggest conducting a series of controlled experiments. This could involve comparing the sound produced by the homemade instrument to that of a traditional electric guitar using various techniques, such as plucking, strumming, and fretting. The use of a sensor for amplification should also be tested and compared to traditional amplification methods.

Additionally, it would be beneficial to gather feedback from experienced musicians who are familiar with playing the guitar. Their insights and observations could provide valuable insights into the instrument's playability and potential improvements.

Overall, while this homemade musical instrument may offer unique features and a cost-effective alternative, the playability and sound quality may vary and require further experimentation and refinement.

1. How can I determine the playability of a homemade musical instrument?

The playability of a homemade musical instrument can be determined by evaluating its sound quality, ease of use, and ability to produce accurate notes and tones. You can also consider factors such as the instrument's durability, comfort, and overall playability experience.

2. What are some common challenges with homemade musical instruments?

Some common challenges with homemade musical instruments include tuning and intonation issues, limited range of notes, and lack of consistency in sound quality. It can also be challenging to create a comfortable and ergonomic design for the instrument.

3. Are there any specific materials that are better for making homemade musical instruments?

There is no one specific material that is best for making homemade musical instruments. It ultimately depends on the type of instrument being created and personal preference. However, some popular materials include wood, metal, and PVC pipes.

4. Can homemade musical instruments be just as playable as store-bought ones?

Yes, with proper construction and tuning, homemade musical instruments can be just as playable as store-bought ones. However, the quality and playability may vary depending on the skill and experience of the maker.

5. Are there any safety concerns when playing a homemade musical instrument?

There can be safety concerns when playing a homemade musical instrument, especially if it involves using sharp tools or materials that could be harmful if handled improperly. It is important to take proper precautions and follow safety guidelines when creating and playing a homemade instrument.