1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Motion: Energy and Momentum Conservation

1. Oct 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A child with mass m is standing at the edge of a merry go round having moment of inertia I, radius R and initial angular velocity x as shown. (The figure shows a disc moving anticlockwise, with the velocity v (Mentioned at the end) pointing upwards to the right most edge of the disc. ) The child jumps off the edge of the merry go round with tangential velocity v, w.r.t. the ground. The new angular velocity of the merry go round is.

2. Relevant equations

Basic Rotational motion equations. Mainly rotational energy, and angular momentum.

3. The attempt at a solution

The conservation of angular momentum yielded the correct result for the problem stated. But when I do this using conservation of energy it does not (I have missed something out, I need to know what). Here is what I have done.

0.5 * m *v^2 + 0.5 * I * y^2 = 0.5 (I + mr^2)*x^2

Taking y as the final angular momentum. The result is something else. The answer according the reference book is given as:

((I + mr^2)*x^2 - mvr)/I

Thank you for the support and all your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If a child jumps, does the child use energy?

4. Oct 12, 2015 #3
    Yes, he takes a part of the energy of the entire system.

5. Oct 12, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I would not call that jumping. Sounds more like falling off. What does a jump involve?

6. Oct 12, 2015 #5
    The velocity with he lands with ? Not even that. I am not sure then. He would a apply a backward force on the ride and then use the force to jump forward. Action reaction. As it is internal forces acting energy conservation and momentum conservation can be applicable. I am not sure what you mean ?

7. Oct 12, 2015 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Jump up in the air. Think about energy.

8. Oct 13, 2015 #7
    Are you referring to Gravitational Potential energy ? mgh? I can take take that as the velocity just as he leaves. Assuming the disc to be my frame of reference..
    I did not get you..

9. Oct 13, 2015 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If you jump up in the air, where does the energy come from to do that?

10. Oct 14, 2015 #9
    The energy comes from the ground to me ? (Conservation of Energy, I push the ground back, and then the ground pushes me back in front)

11. Oct 14, 2015 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, that's not conservation of energy, that's action and reaction being equal and opposite.
    You do not get free energy from the ground. Why do you have muscles? Why do you need to eat?

12. Oct 15, 2015 #11
    Muscles do provide energy. But then do we consider that while solving a numerical ?

13. Oct 15, 2015 #12
    So there is practically no way to do energy conservation here ? Taking this to be ideal scenario ?

14. Oct 15, 2015 #13

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The boy jumped, he didn't fall. You have no idea (a priori) what energy he supplied in doing so.
    Instead, you can solve the problem using conservation of angular momentum, then deduce the work done by the boy.

15. Oct 15, 2015 #14
    Yes, thank you :)

16. Oct 15, 2015 #15
    Just another question, if he did manage to fall out of the merry go round. Then we would conserve energy, not momentum.. ?

17. Oct 15, 2015 #16

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Both would be conserved, but then the given information would not be feasible. The numbers would be different.

18. Oct 15, 2015 #17
    Makes more sense, thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted