1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please can you help me transpose this problem?

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    7.0588 = sin(10.4*∏*t)

how do i transpose this to solve the equation finding a value for t?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2011 #2
    invsin(7.0588) gives (10.4*∏*t)

4. Dec 4, 2011 #3
    invsin(7.0588) in my casio gives a math error

5. Dec 4, 2011 #4
    your casio is ok because the sin of ANY angle must not be greater than 1.

6. Dec 4, 2011 #5
    hmmm here is the full problem, i thought i could solve it with the first question. could you help me more here grzz?

X=a*Sin(omega*t)

where x = 0.6m
    a = 0.085m
    omega = 10.4*Pi

0.6=0.085*Sin(10.4*Pi*t)

any ideas mate?

7. Dec 4, 2011 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Mod note: moved to Homework forums.

acat, please make your own attempts to solve the problem. We will not solve it for you.

8. Dec 4, 2011 #7

eumyang

Homework Helper

Actually, no, what you posted wasn't the full problem. Why is x = 0.6 m? Why is a = 0.085 m? What situation does this equation model? You need to post the entire word problem. It's possible you plugged in the wrong values for the variables.

9. Dec 5, 2011 #8
    micromass i wouldnt dream of expecting others to finish homework for me. Im just struggeling with this 1 step of my problem and its really bugging me. Im simply asking for help with this 1 step so id feel confident to go off on my own and finish my problem.

Anyhow, ill post the problem up later on. thanks

10. Dec 5, 2011 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The equation you wrote is easy to deal with: it has NO (real) solutions. That is because you are asking to have a value of "sine" that is > 1, and that cannot happen for any real angle.

However, it does have solutions in the complex plane; one is t = 0.0480769 - 0.080874I, where I = sqrt(-1).

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook