What is the transpose of a matrix $i[A,B]$?

• Thread starter Slimy0233
  • Start date
Slimy0233
Homework Statement
Q.6. If A and B are Hermitian matrices, then which of the following matrices will
be neither Hermitian nor skew hermitian in nature?
Relevant Equations
For a Hermitian Matrix A,
1. $A^{\dagger} = A$
2. $iA$ is a skew-Hermitian Matrix
1693057590678.png

I don't know how to simplify option b)

I mean, I don't know how to take the transpose of a matrix which exists as a product of $\iota$, how can I solve this further?

I need help only with option c. I have attempted this previously and have gotten what seems to be the right answer, but I don't know how I did that now
DocScanner 26-Aug-2023 19-12.jpg

Attachments

• 1693057606307.png
    1693057606307.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 45
Physics news on Phys.org
In general your solutions have a step missing. It's not a major problem, but you leave a bit of work for the reader.

You also need to assume that ##A, B \ne 0##.

PeroK said:
In general your solutions have a step missing. It's not a major problem, but you leave a bit of work for the reader.

You also need to assume that ##A, B \ne 0##.
except for opt B and opt D you don't need extra steps as you can use property
The sum of two Hermitian Matrices is also a Hermitian matrix. But, I still get how to solve c though. I want to take the transpose of i[A,B], how can I do this?

Slimy0233 said:
I want to take the transpose of i[A,B], how can I do this?
I thought you ready did in your OP.

PeroK said:
I thought you ready did in your OP.
I didn't unfortunately, I did try and do it now which is attached, but I am pretty sure there's an easier way as I am not supposed to do this in the exams.
DocScanner 26-Aug-2023 22-28.jpg

Likes vanhees71
That's okay. Perhaps it could be simpler, but all the steps are correct.

• Care
Likes Slimy0233
For example, you could first show that ##[A,B]## is skew-Hermitian, hence ##i[A, B]## is Hermitian.

• Love
Likes vanhees71 and Slimy0233
PeroK said:
For example, you could first show that ##[A,B]## is skew-Hermitian, hence ##i[A, B]## is Hermitian.
Thank you! of c! I forgot the fact that [A, B] can also be treated like a matrix (even though it doesn't look like a conventional matrix)
This is what I was looking for

Likes vanhees71
PeroK said:
if A is skew-Hermitian then ##(iA)^{\dagger} = iA## making ##iA## skew-Hermitian$$(iA)^\dagger = i^*A^\dagger = -iA^\dagger = -i (-A) = iA$$
edit: I corrected something stupid I said

You meant if ##A## is skew-Hermitean than ##\mathrm{i} A## is Hermitean, and that's in fact what you correctly have proven.

If i may ask what the i stands for in
i[a,b]? I guess [a,b] is the conmutator?

WWGD said:
If i may ask what the i stands for in
i[a,b]? I guess [a,b] is the conmutator?
I'd be willing to bet it's the imaginary unit...

Likes vanhees71
Mark44 said:
I'd be willing to bet it's the imaginary unit...
So you're multiplying the conmutator by the imaginary unit?

WWGD said:
So you're multiplying the conmutator by the imaginary unit?
Commutators are a topic I've never studied, but from the work shown, i is multiplying the result of the commutator action.

Mark44 said:
Commutators are a topic I've never studied, but from the work shown, i is multiplying the result of the commutator action.
I _am_ multiplying. ;).

WWGD said:
I _am_ multiplying. ;).
You may be, but so is ##i##. :oldbiggrin:

Likes PhDeezNutz and WWGD
Mark44 said:
It's standard stuff, as far as QM is concerned.

PeroK said:
It's standard stuff, as far as QM is concerned.
Which is above my level at this point.

What is the transpose of a matrix $i[A,B]?

The transpose of a matrix is a new matrix that is created by interchanging the rows and columns of the original matrix. In the case of $i[A,B]$, the transpose would be a new matrix with the rows and columns of $i[A,B]$ swapped.

Why is the transpose of a matrix important?

The transpose of a matrix is important because it allows us to perform certain operations on matrices, such as matrix multiplication, more efficiently. It also helps us to solve systems of linear equations and perform other mathematical operations.

How is the transpose of a matrix calculated?

The transpose of a matrix is calculated by reflecting the elements of the matrix across its main diagonal. This means that the first row becomes the first column, the second row becomes the second column, and so on.

What is the difference between the transpose of a matrix and its inverse?

The transpose of a matrix is a new matrix that is created by swapping its rows and columns, while the inverse of a matrix is a new matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. In other words, the inverse of a matrix "undoes" the original matrix, while the transpose simply rearranges its elements.

Can the transpose of a matrix be applied to any type of matrix?

Yes, the transpose operation can be applied to any type of matrix, including square matrices, rectangular matrices, and even complex matrices. However, the resulting transpose matrix will have the same dimensions as the original matrix.