1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please check my answers: Combined Circuit

1. May 26, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1zqdpnd.jpg
    ek492.jpg
    10z8p02.jpg
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Vt=30V
    It=4.3A
    Rt=7Ω

V1=12.9V
    V2=2.15V
    V3=2.15V
    V4=4.3V
    V5=12.9V
    VA=4.3V
    VB=4.3V

I1=4.3A
    I2=2.15A
    I3=2.15A
    I4=2.15A
    I5=4.3A
    IA=2.15A
    IB=4.3A

R1=3Ω
    R2=1Ω
    R3=1Ω
    R4=2Ω
    R5=3Ω
    RA=2Ω
    RB=1Ω

Did I break down the problem correctly? And are all these calculations correct?

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2016 #2
    Yes, it seems correct.

4. May 26, 2016 #3

Charles Link

Homework Helper

It looks reasonably good, but electrical currents do have a direction=normally you mark the direction with an arrow and if the current goes opposite to the arrow, it is then a negative current. Also, the voltages you have are voltage drops across the resistors. Often the question will be what is the voltage at a point in the circuit, and in order to do this, a point in the circuit (e.g. the "-" terminal of the voltage source) will be designated as the "V=0" or "ground" point. Then the "+" terminal of the battery will be V=+30 V, and the voltages at other locations are determined from the voltage drops. All in all, you did reasonably good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted