1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please check what I've derived. Involves force and orbital velocity.

1. Jan 31, 2014 #1
    Basically, I'm trying to come up with a function that determines the amount of force need to keep an object in a stable circular orbit if it were to suddenly lose altitude due to a collision or what not. Basically required force as a function of orbital radius.

Here's what I've come up with:

http://imgur.com/N1FUmtN

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What you are trying to achieve is under-specified.
    I cannot tell from what you presented here what the situation is or what your assumptions are.
    But it looks a bit odd to me even so - what acceleraton is ar the acceleration of? due to what?

I'm reading it like this so far:
    ...an object starts out in a circular orbit with radius R1 in the central-force situation.
    For some reason, at time t, it finds itself at radius r(t)<R1 ... so it is in a new orbit which need not be circular.
    You want to do work to (a) turn the new orbit into a circular one at some new altitude R2<R1 or (b) restore the old orbit or (c) something else?

Generally, any old additional force will do the trick.
    It's just a question of how long you are prepared to apply it for - and how cleverly you apply it.

4. Jan 31, 2014 #3

Yeah sorry. This is for someone else for who it seems English is not their first language. From what I can gather, the question is basically if an orbiting body loses energy due to a collision or some other event, how much force that is tangent to the new orbit is required to restore the original orbit? I tried considering dv/dr as the required acceleration, but I'm not sure if it's even valid to talk about a change in velocity with respect to something other than time as acceleration.

5. Jan 31, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't think there is enough information.

I suppose it kinda looks like circular orbits are assumed.

Notice: the tangential force initially creates a torque ... thus angular acceleration.

The object goes faster then it's orbit radius increases.
    But any amount of force may be used to do this - just depends on the time frame.

Note I said initially - does the force remain tangent to the trajectory (which is not circular when under acceleration) or is it to remain perpendicular to the radius vector?
    I think a lot of the missing information is in the context.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted