What is the eccentricity of an orbit such that Vp = 2Va?

csmiller1993
Summary:: A question on a recent exam was, "At what eccentricity does an orbit experience a velocity at periapsis that is twice the velocity an apoapsis?" I don't know why the provided solution is correct.

On a recent exam, one of the questions was "At what eccentricity does an orbit experience a velocity at periapsis that is twice the velocity an apoapsis?"

In the exam solutions, the given answer is e = 3/5. with the following as the justification:

e + 1 = 4 - 4e
e = 3/5

I'm not sure where the professor got this relation. When I attempt to solve this problem I end up with e = 1/3. My work is attached. Am I missing something or is the professor wrong? I emailed her and she simply said to check my derivation. I've solved it with the vis viva equation as well and still came out to 1/3. Other students have also reported that they got 1/3.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 31

Answers and Replies

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I did it using ##e=\sqrt{1-\frac{b^2}{a^2}}## and got the same answer as you. You have the right to learn from your teacher how to do it correctly. I think it's time to show her your solution and say you couldn't find anything wrong with it. Then ask her what equation she used. It's entirely possible that she made a calculational mistake which she will find out once you ask. You will be doing yourself and your classmates a favor.

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I did it using ##e=\sqrt{1-\frac{b^2}{a^2}}## and got the same answer as you. I think it's time to show her your solution and couldn't find anything wrong then ask her what formula she used. It's entirely possible that she made a mistake. As her student, you have the right to learn from her how to do it correctly.

csmiller1993
I did it using ##e=\sqrt{1-\frac{b^2}{a^2}}## and got the same answer as you. I think it's time to show her your solution and couldn't find anything wrong then ask her what formula she used. It's entirely possible that she made a mistake. As her student, you have the right to learn from her how to do it correctly.
Thanks for the reply and for solving it through for yourself. I think I will talk to her because you're right, there's no reason other's should be losing points over this or be confused by it.

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I would give twice full credit to the first student who pointed a mistake like this to me on a test. It didn't happen often but encouraged students to speak up if they perceived something wrong.

Filip Larsen
Gold Member
I also get ##e=1/3##. Think perhaps the professor missed the square on the right hand side of
$$\frac{v_p^2}{v_a^2} = \left(\frac{1+e}{1-e}\right)^2$$

Suggested for: What is the eccentricity of an orbit such that Vp = 2Va?