Please correct this excercise

• Thread starter championnn
  • Start date
In summary, the average rate of change from x=1 to x=2 in the equation x-2x^2 is 0, based on the provided information. However, it is difficult to confirm the accuracy of the calculation as the steps and meaning behind it are not fully explained. It is recommended to break down the calculation and clearly state each step to ensure clarity and understanding.
championnn
they ask me to find the average rate of change from x=1 to x=2 in the equation x-2x^2

this is what I did

2-2(1)^2/2-1 = 0/1= 0

is that right?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It is difficult to tell just what you did.

Average rate of change would be something like:

[tex] \frac {F(x_1) - F(x_2)} { x_1 -x_2} [/tex]

Your F(x) :

[tex] F(x) = x - 2x^2 [/tex]

Keep in mind, that x is common in that expression, the first x must equal the 2nd x.

championnn said:
they ask me to find the average rate of change from x=1 to x=2 in the equation x-2x^2

this is what I did

2-2(1)^2/2-1 = 0/1= 0

is that right?

thanks

What you wrote, even if the calculations are correct, is meaningless.
First, I suspect you MEAN (2- 2(1)^2)/2- 1, not what you wrote.

In any case, you need to write "the average rate of change is ... " so someone reading this will know what you are doing.

What is the value of the function when x= 1?
What is the value of the function when x= 2?

What is the change in the value?

What is the average rate of change?

It strongly urge you to get into the habit of writing your work one step at a time like that. It will make it clearer to others what you are doing and, hopefully, make more sense to you (and probably give your teacher a heart attack!).

Related to Please correct this excercise

1. Why is it important to correct exercises?

Correcting exercises is important because it helps ensure accuracy and understanding of the material being studied. It also allows for improvement and reinforcement of knowledge.

2. How can I effectively correct an exercise?

To effectively correct an exercise, it is important to carefully read and understand the instructions and the material being tested. Use available resources such as textbooks or online references. Double check your work and make sure to correct any mistakes.

3. What should I do if I am not sure of the answer?

If you are not sure of the answer, it is best to do some additional research or ask for help from a teacher or colleague. It is important to understand the material rather than guessing the answer.

4. Can I use technology to correct exercises?

Yes, technology can be a helpful tool in correcting exercises. There are various software and online programs available that can assist in checking for errors and providing feedback. However, it is important to still carefully review and understand the material being tested.

5. Is it necessary to correct every exercise?

It is not necessary to correct every exercise, but it is recommended to do so for better understanding and improvement. If you are pressed for time, prioritize correcting exercises that involve key concepts or areas where you are struggling.