Please correct my mistake in this limits exercise

In summary: L = 1 ( i got it by f(x) 0> 1/2 ) thank you for pointing me in the right directionIn summary, the conversation discusses a function defined as f(x) = 1 if 1/x is an integer and f(x) = 0 otherwise. The task is to prove that the limit as x approaches 0 does not exist using the definition of limit. The individual seeking help presents a proof by contradiction, but is unsure if it is correct. Another individual provides guidance
Andrax

Homework Statement

we have this function

f(x)=1 if [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex][itex]\in[/itex] Z ( aka integer)
f(x) = 0 otherwise
Prove that limit (as x approach 0) dosen't exist (use the definition of limit - trying to prove that limit as x approchaes 0 and x approchs 0+ will not work here)<-- hint given by the exercise

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so what I've done here , first of all this is obviously done by contradiction but just please correctr my mistaker here
let x=1/p /p is an integer (aka 1/x is an integer) then f(x) = 1
we have limit (as x approaches 0 ) 1 = 1
now let x=/ 1/p /p s an integer then
f(x)=0
then limit as ( x approaches 0 ) 0 = 0
we haven limit as ( x approaches 0 ) 0 and 1 which is impossible then it's a contradition please correct me here i know my proof is wrong but i couldn't correct it

Physics news on Phys.org
Andrax said:

Homework Statement

we have this function

f(x)=1 if [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex][itex]\in[/itex] Z ( aka integer)
f(x) = 0 otherwise
Prove that limit (as x approach 0) dosen't exist (use the definition of limit - trying to prove that limit as x approchaes 0 and x approchs 0+ will not work here)<-- hint given by the exercise

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so what I've done here , first of all this is obviously done by contradiction but just please correctr my mistaker here
let x=1/p /p is an integer (aka 1/x is an integer) then f(x) = 1
we have limit (as x approaches 0 ) 1 = 1
now let x=/ 1/p /p s an integer then
f(x)=0
then limit as ( x approaches 0 ) 0 = 0
we haven limit as ( x approaches 0 ) 0 and 1 which is impossible then it's a contradition please correct me here i know my proof is wrong but i couldn't correct it
The idea behind your proof is basically OK but you need to state it more clearly.

If ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 0}f(x)## exists, then we must have ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}f(x_n) = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}f(y_n)## for any sequences ##(x_n)## and ##(y_n)## such that ##x_n \rightarrow 0## and ##y_n \rightarrow 0##.

So one way to prove that ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 0}f(x)## does not exist is to find two sequences ##(x_n)## and ##(y_n)## such that ##x_n \rightarrow 0## and ##y_n \rightarrow 0## but ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}f(x_n) \neq \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}f(y_n)##.

As I think your proof is indicating, we can choose ##x_n = 1/n##, in which case ##f(x_n) = 1## for all ##n##, so ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}f(x_n) = 1##.

Now construct a sequence ##(y_n)## that will give you the contradiction.

jbunniii said:
The idea behind your proof is basically OK but you need to state it more clearly.

If ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 0}f(x)## exists, then we must have ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}f(x_n) = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}f(y_n)## for any sequences ##(x_n)## and ##(y_n)## such that ##x_n \rightarrow 0## and ##y_n \rightarrow 0##.

So one way to prove that ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 0}f(x)## does not exist is to find two sequences ##(x_n)## and ##(y_n)## such that ##x_n \rightarrow 0## and ##y_n \rightarrow 0## but ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}f(x_n) \neq \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}f(y_n)##.

As I think your proof is indicating, we can choose ##x_n = 1/n##, in which case ##f(x_n) = 1## for all ##n##, so ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}f(x_n) = 1##.

Now construct a sequence ##(y_n)## that will give you the contradiction.

thank you this is a way to prove it but i'll stick for a couple of minutes with the definition of limits i think if f(x) = 1 or 0 then limit (x->0) must be 0 or 1
if i prove that it isn't 0 and it isn't 1
i'll try to set L = 0 in the first case and look for a contradiction

Andrax said:
thank you this is a way to prove it but i'll stick for a couple of minutes with the definition of limits i think if f(x) = 1 or 0 then limit (x->0) must be 0 or 1
if i prove that it isn't 0 and it isn't 1
i'll try to set L = 0 in the first case and look for a contradiction
With this, you can rule out L = 0 or L = 1, but unless you prove that these are the only possibilities, that doesn't finish the job. However, if you assume that the limit exists and equals some general L, taking ##\epsilon < 1/2## should allow you to reach a contradiction.

jbunniii said:
With this, you can rule out L = 0 or L = 1, but unless you prove that these are the only possibilities, that doesn't finish the job. However, if you assume that the limit exists and equals some general L, taking ##\epsilon < 1/2## should allow you to reach a contradiction.

i've managed to get a contradiction by the definition i did the opposite of it and i gave epsilon , and alpha which made the contradition for both l= 0 and L = 1 ( i got it by f(x) 0> 1/2 )
thank you

1. What is a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that represents the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value. In other words, it is the value that a function "approaches" but does not necessarily equal when its input gets closer and closer to a certain value.

2. Why is it important to have the correct answer in a limits exercise?

Having the correct answer in a limits exercise is important because it helps to ensure that the concepts and techniques used in solving the problem are understood correctly. It also allows for the accurate application of the limit concept in more complex problems and real-world applications.

3. How do I know if my mistake in a limits exercise is correct?

One way to check the correctness of a mistake in a limits exercise is by using a graphing calculator or software to graph the original function and the limit expression. If they match, then the mistake is most likely correct. Another way is to plug in different values for the input and see if the output matches the expected value based on the given limit expression.

4. What are some common mistakes made in limits exercises?

Some common mistakes in limits exercises include forgetting to simplify algebraic expressions, incorrectly applying limit laws, and misinterpreting the problem or limit notation. It is also important to watch out for undefined or discontinuous points in the function.

5. How can I improve my understanding of limits?

To improve your understanding of limits, it is important to practice solving a variety of problems and to understand the underlying concepts and theories. It can also be helpful to seek help from a tutor or attend review sessions to clarify any confusion. Additionally, using resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice quizzes can also aid in improving your understanding of limits.