Please Find the equation, Graph is provided.

• Thread starter mri44
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation discussed finding the appropriate equation for a given graph, which was determined to be a log-log graph with a straight line. The general equation for this type of graph is y = a + b * log(x), where the log is in the base of your choice. The method of least squares can be used to determine the coefficients a and b, and the exponential of both sides can be taken to simplify the equation. The conversation also touched on the accuracy of marked scale lines and the importance of limiting oneself to using those lines. One of the participants also thanked the other for their help and expressed their intent to try the suggested method.
mri44
1. Graph is provided. Please find the appropriate equation for it.

2. Equation should be in form of x = f (y)

3. Example: X =10^((Y-349.09)/(-48.78751)), This equation is not related to this graph.

Attachments

• Graph.jpg
    Graph.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

nice graph.

Please give me any reference. Is there any software that could determine the equation from the graph?

Funny how the axes don't use evenly spaced divisions. I wonder why?

ok, your plot is semi-log, with the x-axis being a log scale and the y-axis being a linear scale, and the graph looks like a straight line. This means that your general equation is:

[tex]
y = a + b \, \log{x}
[/tex]

where the [itex]\log[/itex] is in whatever base you like (I would say decade), but the coefficient [itex]b[/itex] depends on your choice for a base. Then, you can use the method of least squares to get the points.

SteamKing said:
Funny how the axes don't use evenly spaced divisions. I wonder why?

It is a semi log graph.

mri44 said:
It is a semi Log graph.
No, it's not semi-log. It is log-log. Both axes are logarithmically scaled.

You determine the slope exactly as you do for your ordinary linear graphs, (viz., "rise" and "run" technique) except with the graph you have here you shouldn't try to interpolate between marked lines if you can avoid it. (Not until you know what you're doing, anyway.)

The marked scale lines are accurate, but if you try to draw in extra ones you will introduce considerably more inaccuracy than you'd think. (You have been warned! :smile: ) So try to limit yourself to using those lines that are already marked.

The need to write it as x=f(y) adds a bit of awkwardness, but that's a separate issue and you just need to keep your wits about you. :smile:

Last edited:
Whatever the scale, that graph is a straight line so its equation is linear: y= ax+ b.
If it is in fact "log-log", and we call the vertical axis variable "V" and the horizontal axis variable "U", then the equation is log(V)= a(log(U))+ b. Take any two points on the graph and put their values into that equation. That gives two linear equations for a and b.

Taking the exponential of both sides, that equation becomes
[tex]e^{log(V)}= e^{alog(U)+ b}= e^{alog(U)}e^b= (e^b)(e^{log(U)})^a[/tex]
or
[tex]V= (e^b)U^a[/tex]

Moderator's note:
Now that the OP has been given plenty of hints, let's please let him/her respond with an attempt at solving the problem before offering further help.

Dickfore said:
ok, your plot is semi-log, with the x-axis being a log scale and the y-axis being a linear scale, and the graph looks like a straight line. This means that your general equation is:

[tex]
y = a + b \, \log{x}
[/tex]

where the [itex]\log[/itex] is in whatever base you like (I would say decade), but the coefficient [itex]b[/itex] depends on your choice for a base. Then, you can use the method of least squares to get the points.

Thank you very much.

I got a result by this way.

HallsofIvy said:
Whatever the scale, that graph is a straight line so its equation is linear: y= ax+ b.
If it is in fact "log-log", and we call the vertical axis variable "V" and the horizontal axis variable "U", then the equation is log(V)= a(log(U))+ b. Take any two points on the graph and put their values into that equation. That gives two linear equations for a and b.

Taking the exponential of both sides, that equation becomes
[tex]e^{log(V)}= e^{alog(U)+ b}= e^{alog(U)}e^b= (e^b)(e^{log(U)})^a[/tex]
or
[tex]V= (e^b)U^a[/tex]

I will try it.

I will let you know.

Thank you very much for your help.

1. What is the purpose of finding the equation when the graph is already provided?

Finding the equation of a graph allows us to represent the relationship between variables in a mathematical form. This can help us make predictions, analyze patterns, and solve problems related to the data shown in the graph.

2. How do I find the equation when the graph is provided?

To find the equation of a graph, we need to determine the slope and y-intercept of the line represented in the graph. This can be done by selecting two points on the line and using the slope formula (y2-y1)/(x2-x1) to calculate the slope, and then substituting the coordinates of one of the points into the slope-intercept form of a line, y = mx + b, where m represents the slope and b represents the y-intercept.

3. Can I find the equation of any type of graph?

Yes, the equation of any type of graph can be found as long as it represents a linear relationship between two variables. For nonlinear graphs, other methods such as curve fitting can be used to find an equation that best fits the data.

4. Why is it important to find the equation of a graph?

Finding the equation of a graph allows us to understand the relationship between the variables and make predictions based on the data. It also helps us analyze patterns and trends, and can be used to solve problems related to the data shown in the graph.

5. Are there different methods to find the equation of a graph?

Yes, there are multiple methods to find the equation of a graph, such as using the slope-intercept form, point-slope form, or standard form. The method used may depend on the given information and personal preference.