1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please get me started on showing that the following limit exists

1. Mar 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate the limit or show it doesn't exist. (x→∞) lim ((x+2)/√x) where (x > 0)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know how to solve it if x → c but i don't know how to start it when it goes to infinity. I just need a hint as to how to start the problem.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2012 #2

Staff: Mentor

Divide each term in the numerator by √x, and then take the limit.
  4. Mar 14, 2012 #3
    Mark, thanks for responding,

so after evaluating, i found that the limit does not exists... am i correct?
    ((x+2)/√x)/1 --- Does not exist since the numerator is always bigger than the denominator
    x→∞, x > o
  5. Mar 14, 2012 #4
    That's not what Mark meant. You essentially have the exact same equation you started with. Remember that

[itex]\displaystyle\frac{a + b}{c} = \frac{a}{c} + \frac{b}{c}[/itex].
  6. Mar 14, 2012 #5

In one sense, the limit doesn't exist, because (x + 2)/√x gets large without bound as x gets large. In that sense, the limit doesn't exist because it is not a finite number. For limits like this, though, we usually say that the limit is ∞.

Also, because x is approaching infinity, you don't need to say that x > 0.
  7. Mar 15, 2012 #6
    So when x → ∞, a function will always either go to a finite number, ∞, or -∞...so will a function then always have a limit in this sense? Oh, nevermind, some functions can diverge, like f(x) = -1^x.
  8. Mar 15, 2012 #7

Right, except that ##\lim_{x \to \infty}-1^x = -1##

The one you're thinking of is f(x) = (-1)x. Without parentheses, what you wrote is the same as -(1x).
  9. Mar 15, 2012 #8
    Thank you. I think i understand now.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?