Please get me started on showing that the following limit exists

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate the limit or show it doesn't exist. (x→∞) lim ((x+2)/√x) where (x > 0)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know how to solve it if x → c but i don't know how to start it when it goes to infinity. I just need a hint as to how to start the problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Divide each term in the numerator by √x, and then take the limit.

4. Mark, thanks for responding,

so after evaluating, i found that the limit does not exists... am i correct?
    work:
    ((x+2)/√x)/1 --- Does not exist since the numerator is always bigger than the denominator
    x→∞, x > o

5. That's not what Mark meant. You essentially have the exact same equation you started with. Remember that

[itex]\displaystyle\frac{a + b}{c} = \frac{a}{c} + \frac{b}{c}[/itex].

6. Mark44

In one sense, the limit doesn't exist, because (x + 2)/√x gets large without bound as x gets large. In that sense, the limit doesn't exist because it is not a finite number. For limits like this, though, we usually say that the limit is ∞.

Also, because x is approaching infinity, you don't need to say that x > 0.

7. So when x → ∞, a function will always either go to a finite number, ∞, or -∞...so will a function then always have a limit in this sense? Oh, nevermind, some functions can diverge, like f(x) = -1^x.

8. Mark44

Right, except that ##\lim_{x \to \infty}-1^x = -1##

The one you're thinking of is f(x) = (-1)x. Without parentheses, what you wrote is the same as -(1x).

9. Thank you. I think i understand now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?