Please give me a hint to solving this simple vector dot product proof

In summary, the problem asks to show that two non-zero vectors, u and v, are either perpendicular or parallel if the projection of u onto v is equal to the projection of v onto u. Using the formula for projection, we can see that this is true since the dot product of two perpendicular vectors is 0 and the dot product of two parallel vectors is equal to the product of their magnitudes. Therefore, u and v must be either perpendicular or parallel in this case.
skyturnred

Homework Statement

Let 'u' and 'v' be two non zero vectors such that the prjection of 'u' along 'v' equals the projection of 'v' along 'u.' Using the formula for projection, show that 'u' and 'v' are either perpendicular or parallel.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Please don't just answer it, I would like to do this one on my own. But I first need a hint because I have been trying for about 30 minutes.

I know that the projection of 'u' along 'v' is u dot v, divided by the square of the norm of 'v'. Then this scalar is multiplied through 'v'. But that's about all I have.

Edit: I guess I said more about how far I got. I get the following:

[itex]\frac{1}{||v||^{2}}[/itex][itex]\overline{v}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{||u||^{2}}[/itex][itex]\overline{u}[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
skyturnred said:

Homework Statement

Let 'u' and 'v' be two non zero vectors such that the prjection of 'u' along 'v' equals the projection of 'v' along 'u.' Using the formula for projection, show that 'u' and 'v' are either perpendicular or parallel.

Please don't just answer it, I would like to do this one on my own. But I first need a hint because I have been trying for about 30 minutes.

I know that the projection of 'u' along 'v' is u dot v, divided by the square of the norm of 'v'. Then this scalar is multiplied through 'v'. But that's about all I have.

Edit: I guess I said more about how far I got. I get the following:

[itex]\frac{1}{||v||^{2}}[/itex][itex]\overline{v}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{||u||^{2}}[/itex][itex]\overline{u}[/itex]

Think about what the identity $$
\vec A\cdot \vec B = |\vec A||\vec B|\cos\theta$$implies about this problem.

(sorry for the long time before replying)

Thanks! That hint definitely helped me out!

In case anyone comes by this thread seeking the same as I did, when you apply the identity that LCKurtz showed us, you get a scalar number multiplied by vector v equals vector u. Obviously, this means they are either parallel or anti-parallel.

skyturnred said:
(sorry for the long time before replying)

Thanks! That hint definitely helped me out!

In case anyone comes by this thread seeking the same as I did, when you apply the identity that LCKurtz showed us, you get a scalar number multiplied by vector v equals vector u. Obviously, this means they are either parallel or anti-parallel.

Unless ##\cos\theta=0##, in which case ...

But then wouldn't that just mean that they are parallel anyways? So no matter how you look at it, if proj u over v equals proj v over u, as long as these aren't zero vectors, wouldn't the angle HAVE to be 0 or 180?

skyturnred said:

Homework Statement

LCKurtz said:
Unless ##\cos\theta=0##, in which case ...

skyturnred said:
But then wouldn't that just mean that they are parallel anyways? So no matter how you look at it, if proj u over v equals proj v over u, as long as these aren't zero vectors, wouldn't the angle HAVE to be 0 or 180?

What do you get for ##\vec i \cdot \vec j##?

LCKurtz said:
What do you get for ##\vec i \cdot \vec j##?

Oh I see.. so then given no extra information about u and v, they both can be EITHER parallel OR perpendicular? I guess I misread the question.. I thought it was asking to show that it was one OR the other, and because of this, I blindly looked for one until I found it, and then stopped before I checked the other.

Definitely one vector dotted into another equals 0 if they are both perpendicular.

Thanks again!

1. What is a vector dot product?

A vector dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and returns a scalar (a single number) as the result. It is also known as the scalar product or inner product.

2. How do you solve a vector dot product proof?

To solve a vector dot product proof, you need to use the properties of the dot product, such as distributivity and associativity, and the properties of vector algebra, such as the commutative and associative laws. You also need to understand the definition of the dot product and how it relates to the geometric interpretation of vectors.

3. What is the purpose of using a dot product in vector proofs?

The dot product is often used in vector proofs because it allows us to simplify and manipulate equations involving vectors. It also helps us to find relationships between vectors and angles, and to prove various geometric theorems.

4. Can you give an example of a vector dot product proof?

One example of a vector dot product proof could be proving the Pythagorean theorem using the dot product. This proof involves using the dot product to show that the sum of the squares of the two shorter sides of a right triangle is equal to the square of the hypotenuse.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving vector dot product proofs?

Some common mistakes when solving vector dot product proofs include forgetting to use the correct properties of the dot product, not understanding the geometric interpretation of vectors, or making calculation errors. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.