1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please give some help for studyng further

1. Oct 21, 2012 #1
    First, hi to all of you. I want to become a lecturer in a university in the States, the UK or England, but I have some unclear things for reaching this.
    So, to be a lecturer do I need a Phd, and do I have do be a professor to teach as a lecturer. So, how can I become a professor? How much time in general I have to study physics (and theoretical physics, because that's my field of interest) alter I graduate high school to become a lecturer?
    Another question is how much the average professor make a year and is it low or high for the middle class of people. Thank you a lot!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2012 #2
    Will nobody help me??

4. Oct 27, 2012 #3
    Generally to be a lecturer in the United States you need a PhD. It requires lots of studying and about 10 years of schooling. A job as a lecturer will get you high pay relative to the population, but many people still do not think its enough and lecturers often complain about salary.

Good luck, that is what I wanted to do too but I couldnt make it.

5. Oct 27, 2012 #4
    If you want to teach in a STEM field at the 'senior institution' (i.e. four-year college/university) level in the States, you have to have a Ph.D. If you just want to teach at the 'junior institution' level (i.e. two-year college/tech school), you generally have to have a Masters. Secondary-level (i.e. high school) instructors have to have a Bachelor's.

6. Oct 27, 2012 #5
    "If you just want to teach at the 'junior institution' level (i.e. two-year college/tech school), you generally have to have a Masters."

That is the minimum requirement but the competition is so stiff that I think of a PhD as a de facto requirement. Even then its tough...

7. Oct 27, 2012 #6
    Not at my community college. :P Seriously, most of the instructors have only a Masters or below. For instance, the English instructor I have now is the only person in the whole English department with the qualifications (a Ph.D., as you said) to teach certain courses.

It's sad.:uhh:

8. Oct 28, 2012 #7

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

It probably depends on whether you're in (say) the New York City or Los Angeles area versus North Dakota or Mississippi. :wink:

9. Oct 29, 2012 #8
    Sure, but how many jobs openings there are also depends on your area. You might be waiting a long time for an opening in N. Dakota where you can possibly land such a job with only a masters. Otherwise the schools that have openings periodically get plenty of PhDs applying.

10. Oct 30, 2012 #9
    can you give me an approximate number of earning. 10x a lot guys !

11. Oct 30, 2012 #10
    Just out of school I would guess somewhere between 20-40 thousand a year. If you only lecture you will top out at less than if you research too.

12. Oct 30, 2012 #11
    Seriously, 20-40 thousand a year won't make you rich, but if you're doing what you love, it ain't all that bad. At least, that's my opinion on the subject. Of course, someone who's trying to provide for a family wouldn't have that luxury, but those of us who are bachelors can afford to be a little more idealistic. :P

13. Oct 30, 2012 #12
    In contrast, almost all of my professors had PhDs in my CC (community college).

14. Oct 30, 2012 #13
    What region are we talking about here? 'Cause I'm from the South.

15. Oct 30, 2012 #14
    Northeast here.

16. Oct 30, 2012 #15
    Not hating here (I swear!), but I kinda expected you to say that. From what I've seen, the education up north is a lot better than down here. Unless you go to one of four schools in the South: Clemson, GA Tech, Uni Texas, or VA Tech, you're pretty much behind. :P

17. Oct 30, 2012 #16
    Hmm, never really thought about it that way. I just sort of thought that the quality of education is the same over all of the states.

18. Oct 30, 2012 #17
    This is especially untrue in the public education system, though. There are some bright spots (like the German program at my HS being a nationally-ranked department), but for the most part, it's pathetic. I went to a HS in the Midwest for awhile, and it was like a whole different world.

19. Oct 30, 2012 #18
    Oh cool. Not all the schools are good here either of course. We have a bunch of bad schools, especially in areas of minority (due to lack of funding).

20. Oct 30, 2012 #19
    Of course. I just meant on the average.

21. Oct 30, 2012 #20
    I have worked in various community colleges in Oregon and Arizona as a tutor and at each of them just about every teacher had a PhD. Positions are highly sought after and people fly in from all over to interview for the jobs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook